DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Interlacing problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/87761-interlacing-problem.html)

Merlin Vandenbossche February 28th, 2007 07:48 AM

Interlacing problem

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting some footage decently on DVD. Here's the workflow I already gave a try (PAL video):

1. I captured the footage of a Canon XM-2 in different clips using Vegas' capture tool. (I used Vegas because Avid gave me problems + Vegas captures all clips seperately for easy editing)

2. I imported all of the different clips into Avid Xpress pro and started editing.

3. I needed to add the titles and credits I had already prepared in Vegas, but Avid again gave me a problem in properly importing the titles. So I rendered out the full video/audio tracks into an uncompressed .mov file on the following settings:

No compression
720*576
Field order: upper/odd field first (PAL?) & lower/even field first (tried both already once)

4. I imported this finished clip into Vegas and added titles and credits.

5. I cropped the 4:3 footage into 16:9 with letterbox and made the following project settings:

720*576
Pixel aspect ratio: PAL widescreen
25 fps
Gaussian motion blur
deinterlace mode: none/blend fields (tried both)

6. I then render this project as a 16:9 display MPEG-2 PAL video stream

7. I add the MPEG-2 to DVD architect on following settings:

Video: PAL widescreen

8. I insert the disc into a DVD-player and...

Menus: OK
Widescreen: OK
Audio: OK
Interlacing: NOT OK

I'm getting interlace-artifacts on all somewhat more rapidly moving subjects. If I turn on the 'reduce interlace flicker' on the video properties page in DVD architect, the interlacing indeed reduces but a jittery movement of the subject takes it's place. I've already managed to render out a DVD before without any problems, but this one is giving me headaches. It is however the first widescreen project I render out, but I suppose it being in order has nothing to do with the interlacing....

The things I think might cause the problem:

- Field order: for PAL video should I now take odd or even field first?
- The 'deinterlace method' in vegas: blend field, interpolate or none?
- The settings in the final rendering: odd/even field? perhaps try the regular template 'PAL DVD' and just change the display to 16:9?

Perhaps the fact I 'render' twice (first avid uncompressed, then vegas on MPEG-2) causes the problem?

I'm kind of losing myself in all these settings, and since rendering takes so long and I'd like to finish this by friday.... I really am losing courage here...

Sorry if this is somewhat a repost of something, but I just need some help.

Greetz,

Merlin

Marko Urbic February 28th, 2007 03:58 PM

Hey, I think I know what's the problem. Had similar stuff happening so it might be it.
Go into the menus of the DVD player and change it to view the material on 16:9 TV.
I had a 16:9 DVD which played fine on mine, but when it got to a client of mine it looked just as you described, but then I changed the settings and it was fine.

Hope it helps.

Merlin Vandenbossche March 1st, 2007 08:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.