Are 2-pass MPEG2 files smaller? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Are 2-pass MPEG2 files smaller?

I am working on a project that's busting the capacity of a 4.7 DVD. A dual layer disc is out of the budget for duplication. The margin is very slim and I am trying to avoid more compression if possible. The question is: Will a 2-pass encode have a different size than a 1-pass encode? Which way, larger or smaller? Or is it completely unpredictable?

Thanks for any advice.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

A 2 pass encode will in theory, give you greater quality at the same filesize. If you are trying to squeeze the most out of a 4.7 DVD, I'd definitely go for a two pass encode.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

So from what Chris said means... reduce your bit rate and use 2 pass to get just as good quality. You are sacrificing speed of encoding for better quality at a lower bit rate.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's compressing overnight. 720p HDV to 16:9 SD Mpeg2, 2 pass. Takes some time on my 2 generations ago G5.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
I am working on a project that's busting the capacity of a 4.7 DVD. A dual layer disc is out of the budget for duplication. The margin is very slim and I am trying to avoid more compression if possible.

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like you are already compressing, but for future projects, you could try the BitBudget guide at http://www.recipe4dvd.com/ It will help you balance quality and quantity.

There is a link on the left hand side of the site to download a PDF and an Excel worksheet that will crunch to optimum numbers for you.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Harrington View Post
Sounds like you are already compressing, but for future projects, you could try the BitBudget guide at http://www.recipe4dvd.com/ It will help you balance quality and quantity.

There is a link on the left hand side of the site to download a PDF and an Excel worksheet that will crunch to optimum numbers for you.

Grant
That's a very neat spreadsheet, thanks. Thanks to everyone's suggestions, they all helped.

The file came out the exact same size as a 1-pass. Another problem came up which I'll describe in a separate topic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center