DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   DVDSP 16:9 Showing Up as Letterboxed 4:3 on 16:9 Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/91277-dvdsp-16-9-showing-up-letterboxed-4-3-16-9-monitor.html)

Sean Gillane April 11th, 2007 12:53 PM

DVDSP 16:9 Showing Up as Letterboxed 4:3 on 16:9 Monitor

Hey Everyone-

We're authoring a DVD in DVDSP as 16:9 that is showing up automatically as 4:3 on 16:9 screens. We've selected the tracks and made them 16:9 letterbox and they appear so on a 4:3 monitor, no problem.

The problem is that when it plays on a 16:9 monitor, it shows up as a letterboxed 4:3 image centered on the monitor with black bars on either side.

Now, this can be remedied by choosing the right setting on the monitor (which has been a different setting on the two monitors we've tried) and it will fix the screen perfectly and looks great. But ideally you would just pop the DVD in and it would automatically play in full 16:9 on a 16:9 monitor.

What I'm hoping for is that there is some command you can set in DVDSP to do this automatically, but I am getting the feeling that it is more based on the monitor. It's not a big deal to just adjust the monitor of course, but if you give a client a DVD they don't always know that kind of thing.

Thanks for any help!

-Sean-

William Hohauser April 11th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Gillane (Post 658415)
Hey Everyone-

We're authoring a DVD in DVDSP as 16:9 that is showing up automatically as 4:3 on 16:9 screens. We've selected the tracks and made them 16:9 letterbox and they appear so on a 4:3 monitor, no problem.

The problem is that when it plays on a 16:9 monitor, it shows up as a letterboxed 4:3 image centered on the monitor with black bars on either side.

Now, this can be remedied by choosing the right setting on the monitor (which has been a different setting on the two monitors we've tried) and it will fix the screen perfectly and looks great. But ideally you would just pop the DVD in and it would automatically play in full 16:9 on a 16:9 monitor.

What I'm hoping for is that there is some command you can set in DVDSP to do this automatically, but I am getting the feeling that it is more based on the monitor. It's not a big deal to just adjust the monitor of course, but if you give a client a DVD they don't always know that kind of thing.

Thanks for any help!

-Sean-

This happens during playback from a DVD Player? Check the player's output, it might be set to 4:3.

Sean Gillane April 11th, 2007 04:07 PM

It does so from multiple DVD players. But changing the setting isn't the issue. I can change the setting and correct the issue, no problem.

My concern is a client who doesn't understand this simple fix. I'm wondering if there is a setting in DVDSP that can send a command to the DVD player to automatically go to that mode. I'm guessing no, but maybe someone knows.

Thanks,

-Sean Gillane-