DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Cable/Broadcast delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/91561-cable-broadcast-delivery.html)

Peter Zipfel April 15th, 2007 10:56 AM

Cable/Broadcast delivery

Having several cable and broadcast outlets I deliver spots to on a regular basis, and not currently owning a Beta SP deck I find myself constantly adding the cost and an extra step in making sp dubs for some. Is there a suitable option/next best ( or better)
way to deliver ntsc broadcast video other than Beta SP? I know with one of the cable outlets they accept dvd and mini dv tape, but still dub to SP before loading it into their system. Theoretically speaking, why not FTP relatively uncompressed files to the outlets with tone slate and bars? I watched the radio industry go through this with 1/4 tape to DAT to CD to mp3 delivery. Thoughts or tips on maximizing quality in any of the optional modes would be greatly appreciated.

"Zip"

Allen Williams April 16th, 2007 04:56 AM

You're limited to what equipment the cable & broadcast outlets have at their disposal. They are limited to their equipment based on budget. The market changes too rapidly with too many options for most stations to have the equipment available for every format.
Their Beta decks may be hooked up to machines that have auto sensors that know when the program starts or ends so thay can insert commercials or bring up their own logo when the tape finishes and start the next one at the precise scheduled time. So even if you could FTP the files, they would stil lhave to be loaded to their Beta SP decks.
Consider yourself lucky. I have one cable station (Public Access) that only takes DVCAM, another takes DVCPRO while their leased access division only takes BetacamSP.
Allen W

Steve Montoto April 18th, 2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Zipfel (Post 660624)
Having several cable and broadcast outlets I deliver spots to on a regular basis, and not currently owning a Beta SP deck I find myself constantly adding the cost and an extra step in making sp dubs for some. Is there a suitable option/next best ( or better)
way to deliver ntsc broadcast video other than Beta SP? I know with one of the cable outlets they accept dvd and mini dv tape, but still dub to SP before loading it into their system. Theoretically speaking, why not FTP relatively uncompressed files to the outlets with tone slate and bars? I watched the radio industry go through this with 1/4 tape to DAT to CD to mp3 delivery. Thoughts or tips on maximizing quality in any of the optional modes would be greatly appreciated.

"Zip"

Wow Peter,

This is my exact problem also in my area. I delivered a few commercials to them for my company that I made, shot on minidv. During their process of converting into their system, the final output looked very grainy and darker when aired. Their tech told me that they were working on a FTP so I could just send them the files via the internet, but in the meantime I will probably just get them dubbed to Betasp.

Steve

Allen Williams April 19th, 2007 03:02 AM

I would suspect the problem is with the broadcast equipment. I have submitted work on DVCPRO to a public access channel and I see the difference.
If the dubbing process from mini DV to Betacam SP is a component transfer, there should be no visible difference in quality.
Allen W