Optimized settings for Flip4Mac's WMV Studio Pro HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old June 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Wrangler

Optimized settings for Flip4Mac's WMV Studio Pro HD

After experimenting with this new software purchase for several days, off and on, I have to conclude that I can't exceed the quality of the default settings, which, I have to say, is not very impressive. My tweakings are making the files worse instead of better. Has anyone been able to optimize settings out of FCP using this software?

I can't get good 2-pass encoding--the default setting is single-pass. They sell this at a premium price by advertising the two-pass option, and it looks awful, completely unuseable. Can somebody help me understand how to improve this feature? Why do they even have this feature, if the default setting is set to single pass, and the 2-pass makes it look worse??

Also, it is supposed to play with Compressor, but I can only get renders out of the timeline to work. When I set up Compressor, the Windows Movie appears as an option in the Quicktime Components window, but whenever I submit the file to Compressor, the compression fails immediately. Flip4Mac advertises this as "the perfect addition for Final Cut Pro and Compressor 2" and I can't get it to work at all through Compressor. I downloaded the demo, and it worked fine through using this workflow, but the fully purchased software does not.

I'll be e-mailing Flip4Mac with my dissatisfaction, but I thought I would check it out with other users as well and see what their experience is with this product. Is there something I'm missing?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have been having a similar problem. It started after I upgraded to FC Studio 2 (worked fine before); when I try to render through "Quicktime Conversion" to a WMV file, it throws an error screen up that says that I am trying to export a clip with multiple audio sample rates. Even when I export the audio to a single AIFF mixed-down file I still get this error. Compressor similarly will not work.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Wrangler

hi steven: that's a different, known issue. i had that same problem repeatedly and could not solve it until i went to their forums and discovered that it was a known issue. suddenly, the program wasn't working, and i had a client waiting on their file. the problem is a conflict with their program and the most recently upgraded Quicktime. about a week after my ulcer healed and the client was reasonably happy, flip4mac sent me this e-mail, so they seem to have patched the problem, but you need the upgrade. If you go to their knowledge base, they will also supply you with several existing workarounds, if you don't have time for the upgrade and are working on an ulcer of your own. but it stinks that they knew about this issue for weeks without informing their customers....i'm not a happy camper. too glitchy, lame customer support...shoulda bit the bullet and bought the sorenson compression suite....

Dear Customer:

The recent release of QuickTime 7.2 created an audio compression error for Flip4Mac WMV Studio, Studio Pro and Studio Pro HD customers. Specifically, when encoding WMV files with Flip4Mac WMV v.2.1.2 using uncompressed audio sources on QuickTime 7.2 systems, customers were receiving "Inconsistent Audio Sample Rate" error and the encode will fail. This problem has been resolved with the beta release of Flip4Mac WMV v2.1.33. If you are using QuickTime 7.2, please upgrade to this release at http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_beta.htm.

For customers using Sorenson Squeeze, this fix may introduce an issue with users who are doing 2-pass encoding. We recommend that Squeeze 2-pass users not update to the beta at this time. We will provide an update that will address this issue as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please email us at support@flip4mac.com.

Thank you for your patience.

The Flip4Mac Team
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center