ClipWrap 2.0 released today. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old October 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #1
divergent media

ClipWrap 2.0 released today.

Hey all,

Don't want to bother anyone, but there have been some questions on here about ClipWrap and AVCHD support. I just wanted to let everyone know we've just begun shipping ClipWrap 2.0 - with support for mts and m2ts AVCHD files. If you're interested, please check out the trial at:

ClipWrap

Thanks,
mike
--
Mike Woodworth
mike@divergentmedia.com
Mike Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #2
New Boot

Panasonic AVCHD problems?

I notice you have issues with GH1 Lumix files. I also tried files from the HMC-152 Panasonic camera and it converts with glitches and is unuseable. Are there issues with Panasonic cameras?
Troy Sheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #3
divergent media

Troy,

We are still in the process of updating the FAQ, so let me try to address this directly. It sounds like there's a good chance you're running into a problem with a third party decoder. If you have Perian or AVC1Decoder installed, try disabling it and rewrapping.

Let me know if this helps.

mike
--
Mike Woodworth
mike@divergentmedia.com
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

AVCHD video "jumpy"

I just purchased the 2.0 and wrapped a few AVCHD files as a test. They look fine in preview (using quickview). I then import them into FCP 7.01, and they are very jumpy (similar to the Perian bug issue with FCP over the last couple of versions). Essentially, this renders the program unusable with FCP and using the "wrapper" only feature. Is there a recommended fix or work around?
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
divergent media

Jeff,

First off, let me be clear... FCP doesn't support h264 editing so the only surefire way to work is with transcoded footage. Some of our early users have had success doing small edits / short roughs in FCP with the rewrapped footage, but your mileage may vary.

A few things to look at though -
What sequence settings are you using?
How fast is your machine?

mike
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Here is my AVCHD editing work routine: Find the in and out points in FCP's Viewer which plays the video correctly. Drop the clips onto a timeline (you can use the native h264 codec but I recommend ProRes in the codec image dimensions you shot in). If needed render the audio, apply effects and export. Don't edit long projects in AVCHD and by long I mean over 10 minutes. Use ClipWrap to transcode your footage to ProRes for any complicated edit, long or short. This is especially true if you have an older computer, G5 or any dual-core Intel.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woodworth View Post
Jeff,

First off, let me be clear... FCP doesn't support h264 editing so the only surefire way to work is with transcoded footage. Some of our early users have had success doing small edits / short roughs in FCP with the rewrapped footage, but your mileage may vary.

A few things to look at though -
What sequence settings are you using?
How fast is your machine?

mike
Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I was curious as to how this would work, as I also did not believe that FCP supported h.264 editing. However, I still see a number of advantages for the program, so I am still happy with my purchase.

I hadn't even dropped the video into my sequence/timeline yet, I was merely previewing in the viewer canvas when seeing this behavior (so I assume that the sequence settings don't matter at this point).

My machine is a Mac Pro Early 2006 model (dual core Xeon 3GHz) with 6GB of RAM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Here is my AVCHD editing work routine: Find the in and out points in FCP's Viewer which plays the video correctly. Drop the clips onto a timeline (you can use the native h264 codec but I recommend ProRes in the codec image dimensions you shot in). If needed render the audio, apply effects and export. Don't edit long projects in AVCHD and by long I mean over 10 minutes. Use ClipWrap to transcode your footage to ProRes for any complicated edit, long or short. This is especially true if you have an older computer, G5 or any dual-core Intel.
William, interesting that it plays fine in your FCP viewer, because I was seeing this behavior in my viewer, I hadn't even placed the clip onto the timeline yet. I had always used a ProRes workflow in the past, and I can continue to work that way, but had hoped I could somehow reduce my reference file sizes. The nice feature of this program though is that i can backup my MTS files to DVD, or other HDD, without having to worry about the structure of it, and then if I ever need the footage again, then I can just use clipwrap, instead of worrying about how to do a "Log and Transfer" when the original file structure is no longer there (to allow FCP to recognize it), which for me is a great advantage.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

AVCHD is a difficult format right now even with ClipWrap to the rescue. I have a small AVCHD camera but editing the files proved so difficult for this particular regular project that needs a small camera, I found a JVC HD palm camera that shoots in MPEG2 and I use that now. Of course ClipWrap fixes those files up directly off the JVC camera's hard drive and FCP edits them perfectly. Who would have guessed that MPEG2 would one day be a breeze to edit?
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Tourist

Avchd thru clipwrap2 will work on fcp power pc??

HI ,
i use cw 1.1.1 to capture .m2T FILES from MRC1K and convert into prores 4.2.2.

If I will import AVCHD FILES from an AVCHD camera will it do also on a Power PC
as the G5 DUAL 2.5 ?
thanks and regards

mario
Mario de Paruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #11
divergent media

Mario,

Your g5 isn't powerful enough to playback the rewrapped AVCHD files wihtout major dropouts, but you can use CW to open those mts files and transcode them to a codec your machine can playback well like DVCProHD, AIC or ProRes.

mike
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Tourist

Avchd files thru cw or g5 powerpc

Mike thanks for the info
have upgraded to cw 2 regards
mario
Mario de Paruta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap