Why am I seeing a difference in wrapped files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Why am I seeing a difference in wrapped files?

I have footage that was shot on a Sony Z5u and recorded on the MRC1K recorder. When I bring the footage into ClipWrap for re-wrapping, it appears as 1920x1080. When the same clips are ingested into FCP using log and transfer, they come in at 1440x1080.

Am I missing a step or doing something wrong?
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: Why am I seeing a difference in wrapped files?

What you're probably seeing is just differences in the way apps like QuickTime show the frame size. Internally, HDV stores video as 1440x1080. However, for playback, the video is stretched to the real HD dimensions, 1920x1080.

ClipWrap tags the video with a size that says "hey, this video should be played 1920x1080" - the actual pixel resolution inside the file is still 1440x1080, it just gets played at the proper aspect.

So, there's no resampling/blending going on, just a difference in some metadata and how it's reported. Unfortunately, Apple isn't super consistent about how they display that info - some of their apps display the "real" size, and some display the playback size, so it gets a little confusing.

-Colin
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Why am I seeing a difference in wrapped files?

Thanks for clearing this up quickly Colin!

Reed

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap