HD-SDI input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Major Player

HD-SDI input

What are the various devices needed to get HD SDI into a MBPro? And further...

I'm looking to get a Laptop either PC or Mac that can do three things. Live WF/Vect scoping of HD-SDI, use something like Playback Pro or QLab , or if there is one, a PC equivalent for show playback and third, the ability to edit using Premiere Pro's MPE(mercury playback engine). Hopefully, the laptop is at $1,000 or under and can and probably will be bought used. I'm a little nervous about the newer MBPros as I've heard they are having build quality issues, and the are a bit pricey, a 2011 15" MBPro seems to fetch around $1,500.00, especially if it has the Radeon card that is approved by Adobe for the MPE in PPro. Any thoughts?
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: HD-SDI input

If you just need to get basic HD-SDI in, you can use something as simple as a Blackmagic Mini Recorder ($139), connected via thunderbolt.

I can't say that we've heard of any build issues with the newer macbook pros, and they're great performers. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a machine without thunderbolt, at the bare minimum.

Others can probably chime in with other recommendations on good Premiere configs.

-Colin
Old October 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Major Player

If your MBP has Thunderbolt, you can use an AJA Io Xt or one of several Black Magic Intensity or Ultra Studio products, or Matrox MXO Mini Max.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McFadden View Post
If you just need to get basic HD-SDI in, you can use something as simple as a Blackmagic Mini Recorder ($139), connected via thunderbolt.
...which doesn't ship for another month, according to the backorder list that I'm on.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Sponsor: divergent media

We've heard that Adorama has already shipped at least one batch.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Wrangler

Thanks Colin--up until a few days ago even the BM site was listing it as not being on sale yet, but they have since updated. BH is indicating backorder until 11/15. But Adorama seems to have them in stock. Good info.
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Wrangler

or rather: Adorama lets you place the order and then an hour later emails you to say that its backordered. sigh.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Major Player

As OP, I apologize for the delayed response, I've been slammed on back to back shows. Thanks for all the info. I'm assuming that for my specs, at the very least a 2011 MBPro is needed, guessing $1,200 or more. So how come, when you want your laptop to do merely everything, it always costs more? ;-)

Understand that I was looking at a USB 3 computer, an MSI that met my requirements that was only $700 used, but there is no Playback Pro wquivalent software for the PC. This all, BTW, is for my work as a Video Engineer/TD/Hi-Rez switcher for live events.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap