For Adobe CS 6 users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Major Player

For Adobe CS 6 users

If you use Clipwrap and you use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, this post is for you.
I use Clipwrap to 'rewrap' my .MTS files from my Sony FS100. Now I can
view them in Quicktime, but suddenly they are sluggish in Premiere Pro.
What gives? If you've asked these questions, maybe you too should try my
solution. Rename your .mov files to .mpg. For more info and a FREE Automator
script that will 'batch process' your folders full or archived .mov files from .mov to .mpg,
you can zip over to my blog.

www.gforcevideo.com and click on the 'blog' button. It's the entry entitled
'Can't we all just be friends?'
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: For Adobe CS 6 users

Interesting - we'll have to dig into this a bit more and see why it works.

For folks who are curious, there is (as best we can tell) a bug in Premiere Pro CS6 when working with any long-GOP quicktime file. Premiere builds an index of all of the iframes, but periodically flushes that index for reasons are unclear (and don't seem valid). Sometimes just command-tabbing away from the application and back is enough to trigger it. The symptoms are that performance will be great (after the initial scan) and then suddenly get *really* slow and chuggy, then pick back up again after a few minutes.

We have a bug open with Adobe on this, and they're investigating.

Also, for folks who haven't, be sure to read our "Optimizing ClipWrap for Premiere Pro CS6" post:
https://www.divergentmedia.com/blog/.../clipwrapppro6

-colin
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

For the record....I love Clipwrap. It's awesome and I don't want to put it down in
any way. Just trying to help others who may be having the same issues I was.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McFadden View Post
Interesting - we'll have to dig into this a bit more and see why it works.

For folks who are curious, there is (as best we can tell) a bug in Premiere Pro CS6 when working with any long-GOP quicktime file. Premiere builds an index of all of the iframes, but periodically flushes that index for reasons are unclear (and don't seem valid). Sometimes just command-tabbing away from the application and back is enough to trigger it. The symptoms are that performance will be great (after the initial scan) and then suddenly get *really* slow and chuggy, then pick back up again after a few minutes.

We have a bug open with Adobe on this, and they're investigating.

Also, for folks who haven't, be sure to read our "Optimizing ClipWrap for Premiere Pro CS6" post:
https://www.divergentmedia.com/blog/.../clipwrapppro6

-colin
The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) when anything has a .mov extension.....Premiere CS6
'goes through' or 'uses' Quicktime in the playback process. Quicktime being older/legacy 32 bit coding,
this is not ideal. However, when .mpg is used as an extension, Premiere Pro takes care of the playback
without 'going through' Quicktime....which means no older 32 bit coding involved....thus better performance. However, it so happens that .mpg is also a format that Quicktime can playback, so
it will also work if you want to just to a quick scan of your video using Quicktime player.
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Sponsor: divergent media

Actually, when you use the "Optimizing ClipWrap for Premiere" tip, the files generated can be decoded in Premiere without relying on their 32bit quicktime bridge - you can hardware h264 decode performance, just like with raw mts. The problem is that quicktime files, regardless of the video decoder, need to be indexed.

-Colin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap