DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   Deployed Soldier needs Documentary Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/134819-deployed-soldier-needs-documentary-help.html)

Christopher Feder September 27th, 2008 06:09 AM

Deployed Soldier needs Documentary Help

I am deployed to Afghanistan with the National Guard and need some advice. I have and still am shooting this Doc on HDD using both Sony and Panasonic Consumer Cameras. I am also shooting on three (3) V.I.O., Inc. POV.1 Bullet cameras which recored onto an SD Card. I am editing it in Adobe Premiere CS3 which I just purchased. I am going to figure out how to match all the colors so it looks the same but is there anyway I can make some parts of it have that (24 fps) fillm look??

Thanks, Chris

Dave Christensen September 27th, 2008 04:17 PM

Sounds like an interesting opportunity you're creating there. I'd be interested to know what the doc is about.

If you're using consumer cams, most of these don't have 24p options. You stated you're recording to HDD also, I'm not aware of any HDD-based cams that record 24p. I think your best bet then would be to drop to 24 frames in post. You can do a good job of recreating the so-called film look this way also, given your equipment.

Christopher Feder September 27th, 2008 09:39 PM

I will give that a try in CS3. I am filming a "Behind the scenes" look at a unit deployed to Afghanistan. Unlike the media who only shows the negative side of war, this film is more focused on what we do to stay busy, keep up moral and showing the basic things that most people don't get to see such as how we eat, live, what we do for recreational activities, some of the fun pranks we play on one another and a lot of other stuff. I think what is going to make this such a good project is that I have the full support of my command and I am conducting interviews and making this a real professional film. In addition I have also recorded over 300 hrs of footage. Alot of my cool footage is from helmet cameras, cameras mounted on weapons, Humvees, Bumpers of vehicles etc.

I think the people in my unit will be very happy with the finished product. I will look into the 24P in post and see who it works. I am trying to get all the color to match but that is somewhat challanging considering that I have never used this program before.

Chris

Tim Gauthier January 19th, 2013 12:55 PM

Re: Deployed Soldier needs Documentary Help

Did this film get finished?

How is everyone involved?

Bob Hart January 23rd, 2013 04:21 AM

Re: Deployed Soldier needs Documentary Help

Off-forum, I enquired with him to ask if he would shoot me a background plate or two of distant Afhgh countryside for a project.

He seemed to drop off the grid. One hopes primarily, that he got through his deployment without harm, that communicating here and having messages sent to him did not drop an operational security hammer on him damaging to his career and that he experienced a bonus, that he managed to shoot the vision he wanted and complete his project to his satisfaction.

I have had some misgivings that by sending that email, I hay have set off a problem for him but who knows.