DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   Documentary Contest 30-Second Teaser Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/135995-documentary-contest-30-second-teaser-thread.html)

Philip Gioja October 13th, 2008 07:08 AM

Documentary Contest 30-Second Teaser Thread

Ok, so if you are taking part in our documentary contest, this is the thread where you'll post links to your 30-second teaser. This can take any form at all as long as it contains footage you've found or shot for this project.

I haven't heard from Chris Hurd on how to use his upload program, so hopefully he can help out with some instructions, but if not, for this part of the contest, just use something fairly universal and quick to load.

So, go ahead and post your clips whenever you're ready -- you have until midnight on the 19th.

Chris Barcellos October 13th, 2008 10:09 AM

Sounds like you are saying we will have to upload to something like YouTube, unless we have our own websites ????

Chris Hurd October 13th, 2008 10:44 AM

We're still a ways out from launching our video hosting platform, but we'll accommodate uploads in the interim; hopefully I'll have this figured out this sometime this week... will post the details then. It'll be some form of FTP interface.

Philip Gioja October 16th, 2008 09:10 PM

30-second clip deadline has been extended because I will be out of town. New Deadline: midnight, Tuesday the 21st.

Lorinda Norton October 16th, 2008 10:07 PM

Heh...my interviewee, who hasn't said for certain that he will help me with the project, thought he was getting out of the teaser part because he's out of town until Monday. I can't wait to see the look on his face when I tell him there's still time... ;)

Peter Ralph October 17th, 2008 10:30 AM

u bad lorinda

:)

how about a doc about making a doc for a film-making competition when the subject doesn't want to do it? But you do it anyway. Even if you have to do a stand-up outside his house and interview him over the phone

Lorinda Norton October 17th, 2008 11:26 AM

That would be great fun! If he backs out on me that means I've got nuthin'. I may just have to use your idea...

There's still time, Peter--why don't you sign up and give it a whirl? I'd even give back your idea if you wanted it! :)

Peter Ralph October 17th, 2008 11:54 AM

no - it's yours.

I can see it scooting up youtube -Roger and Me for the vjs

beauty is you can use it in any doc competition, doesnt matter what the subject is - it's a whole new genre - meta-documentaries - documentaries about documentaries. So the DVD would have a 2-hour "making of" with a 10 minute finished doc as an bonus feature on the DVD

Ken Bates October 19th, 2008 02:36 PM

Teaser Deadline

I am glad to see it pushed back a bit. I have mine scripted out mostly but only the beginning/intro is shot and worked on. That part is pretty much "in the can". I still have a lot of shooting to do. But I will have something up on Tuesday night.
Should we at this point just assume a youtube posting with easily searchable title content.
Like put "docuteaser" in title. i.e. Docuteaser-<name>

Chris Barcellos October 19th, 2008 02:47 PM

I don't know what Chris Hurds post here is going to mean to this contest....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/documenta...ouncement.html

Chris Barcellos October 21st, 2008 11:49 AM

Phil:

What is the word on posting the clip- YouTube ? Personal server ? Are we still a contest ?

Philip Gioja October 21st, 2008 01:08 PM

Just got back into town and found about about this issue. I'll figure out a way that we can post our final films off of dvinfo.net - I'll set something up on my own server I guess, just as a temporary fix this time around.

For now, go ahead and upload your 30-second clips to whatever you want - youtube, your own server, etc, and post links here. As long as these clips are not political, we should be ok.

Sorry for the trouble - I wasn't originally aware of Chris's political rules. Sorry about that, but I don't think we should can the contest this late in the game, and it wouldn't be fair to anyone to start over.

Lorinda Norton October 21st, 2008 05:00 PM

This will make the first time I’ve signed up for a contest and didn’t complete something. Rats. I shot some footage (even liked it) but didn’t get any dialog pulled together.

Philip, as I said before, this is a great idea, and I’m aggravated at myself for not hitting it harder or finding less reluctant on-camera talent. Next time…

I look forward to watching the other docs--good luck to the rest of you.

Philip Gioja October 21st, 2008 07:31 PM

Lorinda - unless you don't want to finish it, just post 30 seconds of what you have right now. The final deadline is the last day of the month for a completed edit.

Philip Gioja October 21st, 2008 07:34 PM

Here's my 30 seconds of raw footage: YouTube - Kelsey - 30 sec. teaser