DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   Documentary Contest Entry Film Links (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/136870-documentary-contest-entry-film-links.html)

Chris Barcellos October 29th, 2008 04:49 PM

Documentary Contest Entry Film Links

Title: Uniform Changes

Here is the entry for Chris Swanberg and Chris Barcellos.

I uploaded these to vimeo and youtube, so people would have a choice.

YouTube - Uniform Changes

Uniform Changes on Vimeo

Philip Gioja October 29th, 2008 10:38 PM

Title: Kelsey

Center Street Productions - Non-Profit Video and Photography Blog Archive Kelsey

Thanks guys! Let me know how it plays for you - I've just started using FLVs with this player and still am not sure how viewable they are. It's fine for me, but I have pretty good DSL.

Phil

Chris Barcellos October 29th, 2008 11:09 PM

Hey Phil, played great for me-- but I am on fiber optic.

Nice film, too !

Mike Watkins October 30th, 2008 05:58 AM

Great job guys..Looks like I will be unable to finish my film by the deadline, so I'm bowing out of the contest. Sorry for the late drop out, but my schedule has gotten crazy since I shot all of my interview footage.

I would still like to post the finished product(probably next weekend) for your critiques and direction.

Thanks,

Mike Watkins

Philip Gioja October 30th, 2008 07:32 AM

Go for it Mike - thanks for hanging in this long, and go ahead and post when you've finished it. Love to see it.

Ken Bates October 30th, 2008 09:13 AM

Submittal

I wont have much time to polish mine on Friday evening..I've got 4 litle kids that will keep me busy on Halloween. But tonight I have plenty of time, so i may post it then.
On another note: As a beginner with the fire of newcomer enthusiasm, I am very interested in feedback and suggestions on both the creative and technical sides. I would also like to post my "what i have learned" list for others that may be at a similar stage as me.
I have several "oh, CRAP. I can't believe I did that!" type things, work flow tips to remember for next time and what worked well and not so well etc.

To me that part is jut as interesting and almost as fun.
Can't wait!

Philip Gioja October 30th, 2008 10:05 AM

Ken, I totally forgot when I set this up that the deadline was on Halloween night (duh!). Sorry about that.

I'm extending the deadline to Sunday night at midnight (the 2nd). Mike, don't know if that helps you out or not, but hopefully if anyone else is at the crash and burn point and Halloween's in the way, this'll help.

Ken Bates October 31st, 2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Gioja (Post 957681)
Ken, I totally forgot when I set this up that the deadline was on Halloween night (duh!). Sorry about that.

I'm extending the deadline to Sunday night at midnight (the 2nd). Mike, don't know if that helps you out or not, but hopefully if anyone else is at the crash and burn point and Halloween's in the way, this'll help.

Thank's Phil. though I was not angling for that I hope you know...
This will give me more time shoot 1 more little segment, and to tweak and polish....

Philip Gioja October 31st, 2008 11:49 AM

No, I realize that. I should have realized that but didn't think about it. Sunday midnight is probably a better time anyway - gives you the whole weekend to edit if necessary.

I'll have a little better handle on it next time (-:

Ken Bates November 2nd, 2008 06:59 PM

Coming Up !

Since there isnt much activity here in the last day or two i just wanted to post a heads up that Mine will be posted here in about 6 hrs. Weighs in at 4:58 with about 18 seconds of credits.
Hope a few more make it as well.

-EDIT-
Rendering now... didnt have much time to experiment or researchoptimum export settingsfor YT. Im going to be very dissipointed if it looks crappy because of the settings I chose.
It's in the can anyway and that was a fun assignment.
...still rendering. I think i am seeing the down side to having all those little color correction and sharpen tweaks I did.
I may have to invoke the Pacific Time rule/excuse.

-Edit-
After 40 min and midway through the second pas I got an encode error on the audio.
Trying again..

-Edit_ Ahh that time it worked. uploading...

-EDIT-
OK, finally...
- - - - -
I've got work in 5 hrs, but I was not going to bed until that thing was up and posted.

dang. the sound sync is all screwed up. dont know why.
Too tired to try to fix it.....Sorry.

-EDIT- removed the link above as I have managed to successfully re-upload a correct version of the same things ....see below..

Lorinda Norton November 3rd, 2008 05:04 AM

Cheers to you guys for completing your documentaries! I'm ashamed that I didn't get mine done.

Ken, I started to watch your mockumentary but you're right--the audio did get really messed up somehow, so I stopped watching for now. Everyone knows you got it done by the deadline; I bet no one would mind if you pulled it, figured out the sync trouble and uploaded it again.

If that's all right with Philip and Chris, I'd sure like to view it before I comment on any of them.

Philip Gioja November 3rd, 2008 06:04 AM

That's fine with me - sounds like a plan.

Chris Swanberg November 3rd, 2008 12:51 PM

Causes me no grief.... I won't speak for my other Chris (Barcellos) but I doubt it will bother him either.

Chris Swanberg

Ken Bates November 3rd, 2008 04:11 PM

OK, I re-rendered (is that a word) again early this morning and stopped by the house to upload that version. It appears tro have worked.
YouTube - DVChallenge Documentary
However, it only seems to work with the Hi-res version imediately beneath the main video window.

-Edit-
Thanks guys for your deadline leniency. Somehow I knew that rendering/upload process would be the worst part of it all.

Paul Mailath November 3rd, 2008 04:35 PM

I'm out - got tied up with other stuff and now both of my ideas have pulled out - next time