Anyone creating Rich Media projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old November 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone creating Rich Media projects

I was curious whether anyone here at DvInfo has created so-called "rich media" presentations blending still, video and audio to tell stories.

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences and whether you felt having still photographs enhanced or distracted from your project.

How are you gathering audio during the still photo shoots?

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not to sound snide, but based on your re-definition of the 90's term "Multimedia", I'd be surprised if MOST members here weren't creating rich media all the time. Actually, rich media is a close cousin to immersive media. As I practice and understand it, Immersive Media involves interaction. So a fully Menu architected DVD whether a game or a movie is by definition, Rich Media. Flash based and served Movies streamed over the Internet are definitely rich & immersive media.
"presentations blending still, video and audio to tell stories." have been around a LONG time and no doubt are part and parcel of what most modern presentations are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
I was curious whether anyone here at DvInfo has created so-called "rich media" presentations blending still, video and audio to tell stories.

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences and whether you felt having still photographs enhanced or distracted from your project.

How are you gathering audio during the still photo shoots?

Thanks
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think, maybe, Bob is referring to projects that are composed primarily of still photography and audio to tells stories, rather than more traditional film/video to move the story along. Think something along the lines of MediaStorm (MediaStorm: A Multimedia Production Studio Founded by Brian Storm - Photojournalism, Photography, Video, Audio, Storytelling). It's a much different feel and storytelling technique than the running narrative on video.

But I might be wrong.

@ Bob - I'm part of a media group that is currently working on projects like the one you described. I think most photojournalists bring along a voice recorder of some kind to grab audio on-location. This includes people retelling their stories, answering interview questions, and in some cases hooking the recorder up to a powered mic to grab ambient background noise. Basically all the same resources you would want to cut a documentary.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Seems that to be "rich" a media must be interactive.
this covers the zillion of flash games you will find on the web.
Flash seems to be the choice for creating content, while microsoft producer can
create web pages embedding synchronized powerpoint slides +video +sound +web pages (including forms), reaching the definition of rich multimedia.
they were product allowing to overlay menu and buttons on video (like blueray and DVD) but they never really take off (like Hypnotizer)
the same for SMILE, that was impaired by the use of reaplayer to be played.
today you can consider that most websites including sound, picture and video and search forms (like youtube) are de facto rich media.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, this is what I had in mind. I was reluctant to post a link directly to the other site.
Most of the content I've seen on DV Info is purely video so I was wondering if anyone was cutting in still photos into their docs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Christensen View Post
I think, maybe, Bob is referring to projects that are composed primarily of still photography and audio to tells stories, rather than more traditional film/video to move the story along. Think something along the lines of MediaStorm (MediaStorm: A Multimedia Production Studio Founded by Brian Storm - Photojournalism, Photography, Video, Audio, Storytelling). It's a much different feel and storytelling technique than the running narrative on video.

But I might be wrong.

@ Bob - I'm part of a media group that is currently working on projects like the one you described. I think most photojournalists bring along a voice recorder of some kind to grab audio on-location. This includes people retelling their stories, answering interview questions, and in some cases hooking the recorder up to a powered mic to grab ambient background noise. Basically all the same resources you would want to cut a documentary.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Isnt it standard practice to use still photos to fill in? after all, video is simply photographs and sound. I see them talk about it all the time in the wedding section, if they miss an important shot, get a still picture and use that to fill in the missed shot.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Major Player

There's a 26 second sequence that's mostly stills starting at 3' 20" here:
Take it away: Adam Newton on Vimeo
I don't know if this counts as rich media. It was just a way to tell the story.

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; November 3rd, 2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: explanation
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Bob,

This is exactly what I do a lot of the time, there are plenty of good resources around the net. The work of Brian Storm at Mediastorm is pretty much the best place to start though. I recently gave a lecture with him in China and he is one cool guy. Try MultimediaShooter for more inspiration.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques