DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   Videographing in Spain - are there "problems"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/137067-videographing-spain-there-problems.html)

Sverker Hahn November 2nd, 2008 11:06 AM

Videographing in Spain - are there "problems"?

Possibly I will go to Spain in March - April 2009.

2 people, Sony EX1, tripod etc (looking somewhat professional).

Do I need any kind of permit for

- nature & wildlife
- rural areas
- urban areas?

If videographing e.g. a street with shops, restaurants and people, will the spanish take offense against this (like I have heard happens in France)?

/Sverker

Tony Neal November 2nd, 2008 11:56 AM

I spent 10 days in the Costa Blanca last year with a Sony FX1 and either a Manfrotto tripod or a Steadicam Merlin - I had no problems in the tourist spots and in towns. But obviously its always wise to avoid official buildings and police or military installations whichever country you are in.

Gareth Watkins November 3rd, 2008 02:43 AM

Hi there
I live in France and have filmed in both France and Spain. I've never had a problem with either. I was a photojournalist in Paris for many years and never really had an issue, other than the odd public building where you weren't allowed to shoot without going through the press office.
One thing I would say about Spain though is be careful if you go around Barcelona. I had my van broken into and my camera gear stolen, despite being parked next to two police cars and in a car park with a security guard watching the cars....Only stopped to use the toilet and get a coffee, 5 mins or so was enough for them.

Regards
Gareth

Sverker Hahn November 3rd, 2008 03:47 AM

Thanks for the info, Tony and Gareth,

Seems that I donīt need to worry, that is good.

Background: In Tanzania, one has to pay for a $1000 permit when using a tripod (thatīs professional) and in France, the photographer, shooting a scene where a man is recognised with his mistress (in public), may be prosecuted and sentenced to an enormous fine.

If the France situation is false, please correct me.

Gareth Watkins November 3rd, 2008 04:35 AM

Hi there

Yes the French laws on your 'rights to you Image' are strict and quite frankly over the top, and many celebs make a fortune out of this in court cases against magazines.

However if you material is not for publication or release then you'll not have a problem, particularly if you are back in Sweden. The publications would have to be in France.

cheers
Gareth

Oren Arieli November 3rd, 2008 10:37 AM

Madrid is also a hotspot for thieves. My wife's backpack was rifled through, but thankfully, I had the cameras (video and photo) in my possession with a luggage lock on the zippers of my backpack. Otherwise, I loved Spain.

Another word regarding theft of equipment. Make sure you take a photo of every expensive item you're carrying, along with serial#, purchase price, and purchase date. Use a spreadsheet, or database program (or a free inventory program like this:Insurance Information Institute).
Carry it on a PASSWORD secured thumbdrive. Keep copies of your passport, ID and credit cards (front and back).

If nothing else, you'll sleep better at night.

Mike Gunter November 3rd, 2008 11:50 AM

Hi,

Like Gareth, I was on assignment in Barcelona some years ago and had my camera equipment stolen - a real pain. Things happen, but do take some precautions.

Good luck.

George Kroonder November 3rd, 2008 12:12 PM

How about we set up a Google map for where equipment was stolen?

George/

Rob O'Day November 12th, 2008 04:40 PM

Yeah theft is rife along the coastal towns, be VERY careful (I spent the night in hospital on my first day in Spain !!!).
Other wise, its a lovely place, most authorities don't really give a crap tbh (I ended up living and working in Spain for a year, just a few weeks after getting mugged :D ).