Blurring background during interview - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Since I work with a pair of SONY HC7's, the depth of field even at the long end of zooming still keeps the background in focus during my lit interviews.
Are these interior or exterior interviews? How far from the background is your talent? How open is your aperture? Focal length plays one part in DoF; aperture width plays another.
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I was actually the subject of an interview shoot a few months ago and the production company who shot our office put up a black, open weave material (akin to bobbinet or shade cloth for use in gardens) to increase apparent DoF behind me as the interview subject. I'd guess the camera was 8' away from me, and the material was about 2' behind me...I don't know what their camera settings were. I'll be testing this myself soon, but just a note that I've seen scrims used to blur backgrounds in person and in the resulting footage, and it does indeed look really quite convincing, bokeh-wise. Apologies, I don't know the name of the material.
Nathan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi, the camera should be not 2 close to the interviewed kid right?The more the iris is open the more the Depth of Field decrease right?
Correct me if i'm wrong

thxMM
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hi, the camera should be not 2 close to the interviewed kid right?The more the iris is open the more the Depth of Field decrease right?
You are correct about both. If your subject is too close, they may be outside the minimum focal distance, thus they will be out of focus.

And a wider iris (more open) does contribute to a shallower DoF. A long focal length also contributes, which is why DoF becomes more shallow the farther you zoom in. What also happens is a compression of Z space, which means the perceived distance between foreground and background appears to be less.
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #20
Trustee

Any example about the rules of this important technique?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques