DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   documentary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/15063-documentary.html)

Tung Bui September 27th, 2003 07:00 PM

documentary

I've read on several posts people who've owned both dvx100 and vx2k/pd150 and they belive the sony is a much better camcorder for run and gun type of recording. They qualify this because the sony has better automatic controls and low light. The dvx from this forum seems to come onto its own with more controlled lighting situations.
Alot of people use the dvx for wedding events which I assume is more of a documentary type of videoing than anything else. Does anyone have any opinions on this regard?

Ken Tanaka September 27th, 2003 09:30 PM

I've not yet had much experience with my DVX100, so take my opinion for what it may be worth. I would have to agree that the VX2000/PD150/GL2 cameras seem better suited for "run and gun" event coverage such as clubbing, weddings, junior's football games, etc. than the DVX100.

The DVX100's features and controls seem designed more for filmmaking under controlled conditions where the goal is to get the most out of your image.

Barry Green September 27th, 2003 09:41 PM

Switch the DVX into 60i mode and it'll match the PD150/VX2000 feature-for-feature, whether you want gain or low-light or autofocus or whatever run 'n' gun situation you may want.

A DVX in 24P mode may not have all the run 'n' gun features, but it certainly does when in 60i, which is all the PD150/VX2000 offer.

Randall Campbell September 27th, 2003 10:56 PM

I previously owned a PD150 and traded it for a DVX100 about 4-5 months ago. Barry is correct that in 60i mode the DVX100 does provide auto-iris and auto-focus. In 24p mode, the DVX100 can do auto-iris, but not auto-focus.

I like the picture quality of the DVX100 much better than the PD150. The CineGamma setting provides a linear color curve that does not always look the best directly from the camera, but provides more flexibility in adjusting in the NLE since you are not having to correct for a in-camera exposure curve. You can use the CineGamma in either 60i mode or 24p. Also, the DVX100 appears to me to be much sharper and clearer than the PD150.

The PD150s auto-iris is faster than the DVX100, so if you are quickly moving from light to dark shots or visa versa, the exposure looks more uniform. With both cameras, the auto-iris does not always choose the "best" exposure. For the DVX100, I usually run in 24p advanced mode (2-3-3-2) with auto-iris. Then I adjust the exposure manually when needed to make sure that I have minimal 100IRE zebra patterns.

When I shoot in 24p mode at the wide end of the zoom, I can usually set the focus somewhere in the 80-90s and leave it alone. This gives a pretty deep depth of field that keeps things in focus both close and far. I usually only have to focus when I am zooming in on things. Then it is usually easier to focus using the LCD, but not impossible with the viewfinder.

The other main difference, is that the PD150 supplied mic picks up much less camera noise than the DVX100. For the DVX100, I always use a shotgun on a boom or a lav.

If all that you ever want to do is run-and-gun 60i, then I would probably go with the PD150. If you want higher quality images and the ability to produces a more flim like image, then the DVX100 is the better choice.

Randall

Sean R Allen September 27th, 2003 10:59 PM

I'd also have to agree that the DVX100 will do anything and everything the PD150/VX2K will do just as well in 60i mode. The low light performance is also comparable, with the slight edge to the Sonys.

If anything, since the DVX100 gives you the ability to adjust and so much control over settings, etc. if you're not familiar with how it's set up and know it like the back of your hand I would agree it's less run-n-gun friendly. But for someone who has taken the time to get to know or owns one it's just as good as the Sonys for run-n-gun/event usage.

I must admit though, it was one of my concerns when first buying the DVX100 since I hadn't used one before. Having used the VX2K, I was worried that the DVX100 would be more trouble to use for run-n-guning but thankfully I was wrong.

Yang Wen September 28th, 2003 08:54 AM

I would say that after having used to the manual controls in 24P, the DVX can function just as well as a gun n' run camera. I don't think there are any features on the PD150/VX2000 that is better than what is on the DVX100. Except for maybe the PD150's B&W viewfinder.