DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   documentary type shooting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/15064-documentary-type-shooting.html)

Tung Bui September 27th, 2003 07:05 PM

documentary type shooting

Just posted on the dvx forum but thought I'd post here to just to get a more balanced opinion.
From some posts I have read from people who own both dvx100 and pd150/vx2k they seem to prefer the sony for run and gun type of shooting where you have little control over lighting. They say with more controlled situations they prefer the dvx 100.
Low light and better automatic seem to be the reason for the sony's advantage in documentary type shooting.
I wonder if people agree with this?

Frank Granovski September 27th, 2003 08:38 PM

They are both good cams for docs (although I've never shot a doc). I would think that the DVX has a slightly fuller picture, but then it costs more. Also, the DVX100 is easier to hold. The new Sony VX2000 replacement looks very nice---another one to consider for a possible future cam purchase.

Gints Klimanis September 27th, 2003 08:56 PM

Frank,

Where did you read about vx2100 ? The details are only high-level descriptions, such as better audio in manual mode and better low light performance, for any link I've tried.

Thanks !

Frank Granovski September 27th, 2003 09:47 PM

I just read its---and the new PD170's available specs and description. From what I gather, Sony has made the VX/PD better, like what Canon did with the XL1S. The specs look good, plus better audio, a larger eye-cup and better "low light." There's some links posted here on other threads.

Mike Rehmus September 27th, 2003 11:19 PM

Can you explain the term, "fuller picture?"

Frank Granovski September 28th, 2003 12:37 AM

A more colorful picture, warmer. Plus the res would be a bit higher with the DVX. But you pay extra for the DVX. The DVX is newer technology. But again, they are all good cams. The BBC has been using VX2000s in the field for a long time (they just had to fix the audio). I would try these cams for yourself before you take that leap of faith.

Mike Rehmus September 28th, 2003 11:41 AM

OK, I understand your definition.

But 'colorful' and 'warm' are surely under control of the camera setup?

DV specifications are 500 lines IIRC. No matter what resolution the front end delivers (like the 750 lines of my DSR-300) the recording resolution is the knot hole through which the image has to pass.

One can have an optical system that delivers less than 500 lines (and the pd150 might be one of those) but anything over isn't going to noticably make a big difference.

I've not played with a DVX100 so I cannot directly compare the two cameras. Just curious.

Frank Granovski September 28th, 2003 12:52 PM

Depending on the miniDV cam, the horizontal playback lines can be anywhere from 360 to 540.
Quote:

But 'colorful' and 'warm' are surely under control of the camera setup?
Canons/Panas have a warmer color than Sonys from what I've seen. Not all miniDV cams are created equally. The VX2000 and PD150 plays back 500 lines from the tests I've read. One such test was published in DV Magazine.

Mike Rehmus September 28th, 2003 04:41 PM

When you say 'warmer' color, you are referring to the factory default settings? The Sony can be adjusted from quite 'cold' to quite 'warm' if you wish. I'm certain the Panny's and Canons can be adjusted over approximately the same range.

Not arguing, trying to understand the capabilities of the cameras I don't own.

Frank Granovski September 28th, 2003 06:42 PM

Well, let's put it this way, no matter how much fine tune adjusting, PD150 footage will never look exactly like DVX100 footage; PDX10 like DVX100 footage; PC300 like Optura Xi footage....