Sound & Documentary Editing [Could Use Some Tips] at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Tourist

Sound & Documentary Editing [Could Use Some Tips]

I'm working intensely on a documentary and am using the Canon HV20, with the Canon Shot Gun mic attached. I've noticed as I'm importing my footage in to Final Cut that it's a bit low in terms of sound volume. There is a bit of background noise, but for the most part, the footage sounds great.

I'd love some tips on utilizing the mic I have (Canon directional stereo mic DM50) and any tips about improving interview sound.

Thanks for any help and tips!
Jaime M. Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Let me be he first, of what will probably me many giving the same advice.... The simplest way to improve sound is to get the mic OFF the camera. Good sound comes about as a result of mic proximity to the sound creation. Booms and lavs exist JUST for that reason. It really doesn;t matter as much what kind of mic you have if you are just going to leave it on the camera all the time...a great and expensive mic on camera can be out done by a far cheaper mic in close proximity.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris is dead right. If your subject is stationary, there is no reason not to use a lav or a shotgun on a stand proximate to the person doing the talking. If the subject is on the move, a wireless lav or a sound guy with a pole will work. Yes, good wireless mics are dear, but if you can find a friend to hold a pole and pay him in pizza, that'll work too.

I'm no expert on docos but I believe that great audio is a critical component in telling a story. Viewers expect that an interviewee sitting in a chair on the tube should sound as good or better than that same person sitting across the coffee table in their living room.

Check this out. Ben Ashline - Profile of a Young Racer on Vimeo I recorded this with a Countryman lav on the subject and a shotgun on a stand as a backup. I'm very pleased with the results.

When we moved from the shop to the cabin, there was a generator outside to power the lights which was captured by the lav. It would have been more noticeable if the mic wasn't on the subject. A little EQ and light background music made it virtually disappear.

IMO... good sound is worth working hard for.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post

IMO... good sound is worth working hard for.

Probably one of the best single sentences posted here in a long while. Good sound doesn't just "happen".

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques