Trailer for Finished Documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old March 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Trailer for Finished Documentary

Here is the website for the movie made by my sister and me. We have always been interested in film so we collaborated to make a documentary. We finished it and submitted it to a number of festivals. We have no idea if we have any chance of getting in but we didn't know if we would be able to even make a movie when we started. So we'll see.

http://www.whiffmovie.com/main.asp

Let us know

Thanks
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nice looking site. The trailer looks OK. I'm just curious if there is an overall narrative story to the piece or if it is just a collection of quotes and stories from various people. I think, for example, if you had followed one team or something, then you may have a more consistent narrative thread, which might be something to focus on. As I see it now, it seems like you have some good individual bits, but I'm not sure exactly how well those bits piece together. If you have more of a narrative thread, I'd work to bring that out a little. Other than that, it looks good. I think the overall tone set by the music and the initial shots works for it. Good luck, and hopefully some festivals will appreciate your work.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice trailer - I really have a strong dislike for your font you chose while introducing the different characters - it feels like I just typed it up on Word or something - I think you should experiment with that and try to get something that ads some depth to the characters (characters in the font that is). Otherwise it was done fairly well though there are parts that need some color correction work to get away from the extreme video look. Best thing I saw was your website: it's very nice!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #4
New Boot

The Narrative

Well we follow 4 teams from their specfic region to Austin TX, for the National Championship of Wiffleball. The Trailer was more of a quick look all the little things that go on in the film.

We open with the inventors then have a Physist from Yale explain why it curves and then go into the competitive tournaments. This is where you get into the characters and people.

I agree the font is sorta thrown in there, but we didn't try and get too fancy with this trailer.

I do appreciate the comments, thanks.
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #5
New Boot

Nice website and trailer. Music choice was great and the edits were right on time. I do agree that if the story is the National Championship then the trailer should give us a better flavor of the competition.

You definately got my interest.
Rebecca Condon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

I thought it was a nice little trailer. Sweet! It got my interest and
that doesn't happen often with sports stuff. The only "complaint"
was that the audio (especially on the interviews) wasn't that
great.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #7
New Boot

First thing that stuck out to me was that you gave some of your interview subjects too much "head room" when framing the shot
Sherwin Noorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I liked it very very much.

The trailer was funny and made you interested in the subject...I would like to see the final film. Let me know where I can get it.

Good job.
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #9
New Boot

It was all a learning experience

Well since most of the shooting was done at wiffleball tournaments, outside with people playing and yelling and the normal outside noise we did have alot of audio problems.

Also shooting with just one camera on a HORRIBLE tri-pod outside on wiffleball fields was challenging. Lucky for us we were able to use alot of B-roll of each of the teams playing wiffleball when something would go wrong.

There were alot of things that could have gone better but over-all for what equipment we had (GL2, one lav mic, one shotgun with an Studio 1 Adapter) and such little/no experience we are happy with the outcome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques