Items in the Public Domain - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Paul. I was hoping you might share some generalized thoughts.

Folks need to realize that these issues are often complex and do not beget simple answers to generalized questions - nor can a general answer to one question necessarily be transposed to another... they are highly fact dependent.

Having said that I have another Q. Say I find a 1903 painting (or for that matter photgraph) in a book pubished in the USA, the image is just a reproduction, no alternations, no added text overlays, etc. If I use my digital camera to copy it, what potential issues (if any) arise if I try to use it in an original production of mine, to your mind? (again All USA)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
Sorry I missed this thread. It's doubtful whether a valid copyright covers the paintings, if your dates are accurate. Any such protection should have expired. It is not possible to obtain new protection by re-publishing a work that has already lapsed into the public domain, unless something transformative is done, and then protection only exists as to the new material created by the transformation. As an example, assume a photograph of Marilyn Monroe is in the public domain (none would be, but this is for illustrative purposes only). Andy Warhol's "Marilyn" work, which consisted of a panel of neon-colored, solarized copies of a photo of Marilyn Monroe would be a derivative work and independently protectable in copyright.
Paul, that's interesting- isn't the book itself protected by copy rights? Also just changing the medium, is a music performance itself covered by copy rights? (even if the score is in public domain).
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Paul, that's interesting- isn't the book itself protected by copy rights? Also just changing the medium, is a music performance itself covered by copy rights? (even if the score is in public domain).
Correct on both counts. Only the original expression, i.e. the original painting, would be in the public domain. With respect to music, if the recording has gone out of copyright, it's available for use. However, a new recording of a score in the public domain would be protected.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM   #19
Major Player

Digital Copyright Slider

I've found that helpful.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
Digital Copyright Slider

I've found that helpful.
That's a great tool, Bill. Do you know if they update it yearly?
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Great find Bill. Thanks.

(It also serves to demonstrate what I was saying about the complexity of making the determination above.)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques