Dual camcorder interview.How? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old June 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Trustee

Dual camcorder interview.How?

Hi, could you give me any suggetsions about the position of2 camcorders during an interview?
One should be set in wide and the other one on a close up on the face of the guy interviewed.Please could you tell me through pictures or schemes how to set the 2 camcorders?
thank you
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Marcus,

I shoot interviews with two cams. Typically I have them set up about 5 feet apart. One is the primary camera I operate. I use this one for most of the movements, zooms, CU's, ECU's, etc. The other camera is usually set to about a medium shot. Every so often I'll set my primary camera to a good framing and then move over and reframe my second cam. Then I go back to operating my primary cam looking for good opportunities to create a certain feel or mood.

It seems to work pretty good in giving a good variety of shots for editing. It would be much easier to have to operators but this works.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Any example online?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Trustee

I just finished shooting one but the editor elected to use one cam as we needed to get it out really quickly. I'll take some of the footage and try to piece a quick bit together and post it. May take a day or two.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Major Player

You can look at any of Rick Young's interviews at Macvideo. He always uses this technique.
Old June 21st, 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Depends on the style you want, I did a video recently where we had one camera fixed on a tripod at a mid shot while I used the second camera handheld. If my new website goes up soon I'll post a link to the interview.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Trustee

My approach is very much similar to Garrett's. Here's an example: Ben Ashline - Profile of a Young Racer on Vimeo.

I have to admit that this is only the second one of these that I've done but "The Kid" liked it so I guess it worked. The prime camera is an XH A1. The secondary is an HV 30.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Tripp: off-topic but I LOVE North Eastern accents: "sittin' in tha CAH..."
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

My opinion on this is that a second camera doesn't add anything to the contents or even visuals of your movie. If you have time to cut in between footage of an interview, you better make a cut-away to footage that enhances the story instead of showing a boring face from two different angles. It's still a boring talking head, no matter how many cameras you use. ;-)
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

P.S.: If you really want to use two camcorders, I'd suggest that you have the B-cam handheld, zoomed out wide to show the setting of your subject, and add some stylistic elements (e.g., shaky cam, grainy footage, b/w ...). A second cam on a tripod would look really boring.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Tripp: off-topic but I LOVE North Eastern accents: "sittin' in tha CAH..."
Would you like drawn butter with your lobsta? (grin)
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Trustee

Stefan... Static B cams are pretty boilerplate. Yes they can be uninteresting but like boilerplate, they can be very helpful when you absolutely have to edit and you have no supporting footage to cut to. In a perfect world you'd be right for all the instances we all encounter. However... I don't want to count the crutches in my closet so I won't ask about yours. I prefer to keep the closet door closed whenever I can.

The only up side to a dual "static" camera approach is that if your location is at all interesting, a different angle gives the audience a look at more of the space. It's a nit really, but it is something.

Last edited by Tripp Woelfel; June 24th, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: What else... spelling
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Major Player

I use the second cam for editing/shooting efficiency more than visual interest. If the interviewee fluffs a line you can just pick up from the beginning of the sentence without the jump-cut you would get with only 1 cam. Likewise removing redundant sentences etc.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett View Post
If the interviewee fluffs a line you can just pick up from the beginning of the sentence without the jump-cut you would get with only 1 cam. Likewise removing redundant sentences etc.
For me this is the best reason for using 2 cameras. Although just changing the shot every now and then does make it a little more interesting than 1 static shot.

Here is an example that I did recently that I would call a pretty boring interview if shot just 1 camera. It's not all that entertaining anyways unless you know them, but I think it's more watchable the way its cut.

YouTube - Bill and Vicki: Guthrie Dream Wedding

The interview portion starts around the 1 minute mark.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

You also might want to consider using a dolly.
Here is a piece I edited which was shot with two cams.
One tripod mounted and one dolly.

Voorkom blessures bij tennis, bekijk de film
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques