Robin Hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Robin Hood

I just returned from the Sr. Olympics and took video of my friend shooting archery. I would like to put a short piece of the Robin Hood movie (maybe about 10 sec.) in the beginning of my video. This will be only sent to his family and friends, and I am not making any money.

So my question is can I be shot for using the trailer that is on the web? I can see that I might like to include other trailers in some of my short videos.

Thanks for your input..

Ken
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Shot? No. Sued? Yes. Without permission from the copyright holder(s), you're violating the law.

Will you get sued? Well, telling you the likelihood could be the same as encouraging you to try to get away with it... At least in my eyes and those are the ones I have to look through. It's stealing. Full stop.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Robin Hood

Well, I am not a thief, so I will not start now. Thanks for your view.

Ken
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Kenneth

Tripp is absolutely right of course, but my recommendation is that you don't just give up the idea. Ask for a copyright release; it sometimes works.

Many years ago I made a commissioned programme for the Royal Schools for the Deaf here in Manchester UK. It had long since since developed into a special school (singular despite the name) for children with multiple disabilities. The school depended largely on donations and the programme was explain its work, not to appeal for funds directly.

I started with a regular school playground and a V/O something like "Children at play. Learning as they play hundreds of skills that will help them grow and learn, ready for the adult world ahead. But for some, special children, play itself is an immense challenge". We decided the title and ideal intro music would be "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

That wasn't merely in copyright but relatively hot so instead of trying to clear it through the UK agency I wrote direct to Liberty, the US label, explaining that the client was a registered UK charity.

They replied asking for $25.00. I responded saying that I appreciated their gesture but because of the costs of currency conversion and bank transfer I would get a pal in the States to send them his personal cheque. I didn't accuse them of parsimony but I did try and put a $25 payment to a huge record label into context.

I received a delightful letter in reply saying that they'd reviewed the project and given all the circumstances would give me the mechanical release free of charge and on behalf of themselves and the quartet, sent us and the project their best wishes.

A bit cheekily I took this to mean the group had waived its performance and writing rights and wrote a response thanking them for their generosity.

Of course this was a special programme and I'm not suggesting that the same would happen in every case. What I am saying is don't give up - ask the question at least - but ask the right person.

Incidentally I still regard the programme as one of the best we ever produced.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques