DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   In cockpit shooting. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/390123-cockpit-shooting.html)

Marcus Martell September 12th, 2009 10:59 AM

In cockpit shooting.

Any suggestions guy on a jet cockpit shooting session?
I'm looking for the small hdv cameras!Anybodody out there has experience on that?

thx

Grinner Hester October 1st, 2009 01:08 PM

Helmet cam if you are shooting. If wanting to shoot the pilot, I siggest a mounted lipstick camera. You could use the same helmet cam...just mounted.

Pete Bauer October 1st, 2009 01:39 PM

What sort of jet? An airliner, a transport, a fighter jet? What flight equipment, if any, will you need to wear? What aspect of the flight do you want to record -- the pilot in command, scenery, cockpit instruments, yourself?

Marcus Martell October 3rd, 2009 12:51 PM

Fighter jet...I'd like to shoot the pilot and also the cockpit HUD and instruments. Do u have any lipstick or small HD camera in mind?

Thx Have a good weekend fellaz!

Terry Shaw October 9th, 2009 11:02 PM

Marcus, take a look at the Panasonic AG-HMR10 and AG-HCK10.

Terry

Benjamin Hill October 10th, 2009 03:42 PM

I went up recently in a T-6 to film an L29 Delfin flying alongside, handheld with Xh-A1- man was it hard to get a smooth shot. We had the canopy open, and it was my first time doing this kind of thing, but still harder than I expected:

YouTube - Flying on a T-6 Texan

HDV really didn't handle the vibrations and shakes well at all, FWIW.

Pete Bauer October 11th, 2009 07:51 AM

Ben,
Looks like it was quite a fun day. Did you have the XH tethered in some way considering the open canopy, or did you just hold on REALLY tight?

Marcus,
I'm not knowledgeable about the specialty "lipstick" sort of cameras, but in general, you're going to want the smallest camera that will do the job, WIDE angle capability, and very importantly, a plan for how you're going to mount and/or stow the camera, accounting for positive G, negative G, and ejection. I'm sure the organization you will be flying with will want to discuss all that with you before you fly; there have been incidents that resulted from camera use in jet cockpits. Having so much as a ballpoint pen get loose is unacceptable in an ejection seat aircraft. If you want cockpit audio, the connections will have to be worked out with the flying organization.

We look forward to seeing your footage!

Benjamin Hill October 12th, 2009 10:09 PM

Had the camera strap wrapped well around my wrist- ends flapping violently in the air- and held on REALLY tight.

Craig Lieberman October 15th, 2009 10:58 AM

HD Helmet Camera and 1080p HD Helmet Cam - ContourHD by VholdR

Select the Contour HD camera...MAKE SURE to buy their suction cup mount because of the odd shape of the camera, another mounting solution would have to be custom made.

I use this extensively for car videos. Works great.

Max Wilson October 16th, 2009 09:18 AM

I saw them using that contourHD camera on Dirty Jobs the other day. looked pretty good what came out of it.

Marcus Martell November 9th, 2009 03:16 AM

Which occasion was when u saw shooting with the hdcontour?