A Canadian filming a documentary in New York City - anything special required? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Major Player

A Canadian filming a documentary in New York City - anything special required?

I'm a Canadian documentary filmmaker which is thinking of driving down to NYC for a few days to do some interviews. I'd also like to interview some new yorkers on the streets and get their input.

My guess is this is a fairly common occurence on the streets of NYC - random XL1's and DVX100A's found at ever streetcorner. I was just wondering if any sort of permit or anything is required by NYC to do documentary work in the city? (Two person crew: Cameraman/interviewer and Boom operator)

Also, when crossing the border, I assume there's nothing wrong with being a documentary film maker going across for three days to interview people (Who knows what crazy border laws exist these days)

Thanks -
Ari
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

You're supposed to have a permit for shooting almost anywhere in New York City, but the message I'm getting from the people at the mayor's office and police officers I've spoken with, is that, if you're just a small crew and you're being discreet and using common sense, they won't bother you about it.

They are mostly concerned with the BIG productions that can block a street or intersection. One policer officer explained it this way, it's when you start gathering crowds, stopping pedestrian or motor traffic, wheeling in trailer trucks, and/or large light systems, that they'll approach you very quickly to find out what the heck is going on - and if you have a permit to be there.

Getting a permit makes you official, and it's free!, so it's best if you can get one. But since the insurance can be expensive if you're working out of your own pocket, your second option is to be polite, cooperative, and unobtrusive.

You can find out more details here: (click here) NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre, & Broadcasting
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #3
Wrangler

FYI: subways, trains, and stations are all off limits to video cameras
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've done some run and gun style documentary shooting on the streets of Manhattan and have never gotten permits nor have I been hassled. The people I've worked with said that permits are only required if you are using a tripod.

Like Michael says, if you're a small crew and smart about it, you shouldn't have any problems. If you have a larger crew, lights, power and multiple cameras on tripods, it could be an issue depending on where you are. The permits are free and easy to get albeit with some administrative hassles; the primary requirement is insurance.

As a Canadian living in the USA/NYC myself, I would absolutely not mention the word "work" at all when entering the US. Regardless whether you are "working" for yourself, "working" on a project, or whatever, the Immigration situation at the borders is at a ridiculous level. It sounds like you won't have much equipment, so I'd recommend saying you are just going for a visit; make sure you have answers for things like "where will you be staying" and "how long".

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Major Player

I'll second what Stevan said...the criteria for a permit is the use of a tripod on the street or sidewalk. Discreetly shooting handheld is pretty common and accepted.

Of course, be aware that you will get hasseled by the police if you are causing a disturbance or interferring with the flow of pedestrian or street traffic.

Also be aware of the buildings you are shooting near as there are many security concerns in the city.

So just use common sense and have fun.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques