Documetary writing question ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old April 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Not to thread cap, but I am in a similar predicament. Just started getting ideas for my next film, which happens to be a documentary as well. The idea has been in my head for a long time I just haven't had the time to do it.

I'm thinking about making in the same vein as "The Inconvenient Truth." Where there is definitely a personnel touch to it (ie Gore's Son, Gore loosing the election etc for example from The Inconvenient Truth) that sets up the story and ties everything together. For me a well done documentary is one that I can relate to and come out feeling informed on a person, place or thing that I didn't know that much about before, and if it really well done, it will drive my interest level even further into reading more articles on the internet, reading books, watching more documentaries on the subject etc...
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Good luck Jarred - sounds interesting!

One thing that interests me is not 'telling' anyone anything but simply showing them something to look at and to listen to but with the aim of still informing, in a way - it isn't neutral - but the method used is more subliminal and not didactic at all and is based more on aesthetics and sensual pleasure to draw the viewer in. Some call it 'documentary display' (see Keith Beattie).
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Cox View Post
Shaun and Steve - Interesting points re 'false' narratives. I'd add, what is a true narrative? Sure, one can create a genuinely false and misleading story by selective editing alone and I'd never defend that, but that aside aren't all docs 'false' in the sense that filmmakers want to give the impression that what the viewer is seeing and hearing is somehow some kind of objective truth which we all know is often far from the way it really is due to a whole host of reasons not least simply what one choses to point the camera at in the first place! I'm not knocking the aim for objectivity and truthfulness but I sometimes find it more honest when the filmmaker is perfectly clear that the work is subjective and / or impressionistic. Ironically I find this can lead to a deeper and more telling depiction of reality rather than simple actuality which is all an 'objective' camera image can ever give you.
Good points. Truth is subjective for sure :). And there really is no such thing as a true veritae doc (unless the camera is hidden) because your subjects' behavior will always be affected somehow by the presence of a camera.
Steve Childs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques