contract for a partnership on a film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

contract for a partnership on a film

I have been asked by another production company to work together on a film that I have already been working on myself for a year and half. The other person is a good story teller and editor, and I am a good shooter. He wants to get my footage to date and start working on turning it into a decent film. My question is what is the best way to write up a contract that states all footage is mine, and he can only use it for editing our film together. If things go south I dont want him taking my footage and using it for his own purposes, anymore than he would like it if I took his story idea and used it without him. I am of course nervous about handing over all my work to a new person I don't really know (but the guy has a good track record). anyone been in this situation before and have some insight and experience. I want it all in writing before moving forward..thanks much
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: contract for a partnership on a film

I suspect you need to write a co-production agreement outlining the terms between both parties and in the event of the production collapsing what's going happen to each of your work to date. You may have to define what constitutes a "production collapsing" and what happens to the "joint work" itself at that point.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

good idea, that was the direction I was going...
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would be very, very suspicious and paranoid if I were you. Make sure you get a good lawyer involved. I just have a very bad feeling about this. I've just seen this type of thing go bad too many times when you do all the work and he gets all the credit and money down the road.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques