Which documentary festivals would be appropriate for this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old January 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Which documentary festivals would be appropriate for this?

Greetings.

Having just completed a 29 minute short bio/documentary, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience for someone like me that is going to try and enter a few film festivals for the first time.

I probably stand a chance in h**l to get into any, especially Sundance, but I thought it might be cool to have a blurb "...as rejected by Sundance or (your festival name here)" ;-}

Since my film deals with a latino former golden gloves boxer and trainer, I thought maybe going after latino film festivals might be a way. There is a link to the film below, however it is the YouTube shortened version.

Are there ones to stay away from? Some that you could recommned. I know the averge entry fee is around 3040 dollars US, so I think my entry fees will actually exceed the cost of making the film! My search has found that there are DOZENS of festivals. I just want to find a few that might be for me.

My plan is to maybe enter four. Does that seem reasonable?

Any help or advice from veteran festival entrants would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Which documentary festivals would be appropriate for this?

Give Withoutabox a try, https://www.withoutabox.com/. Should help you figure out which festivals work for you.
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rick.

I set up a WithOUtabox account and added my film.

I was really interested to see if there were any festivals that I should avoid, or by all means apply for.

There a re LOTS to choose from. I continue poking around and see what I can learn.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Enter festivals in the city you are from.

Enter festivals in the city your characters are from.

Enter latino festivals if you/the subject are latino.

"Specialty" festivals/categories are easier to get accepted, as there is less competition. Everybody wants to get into Cannes, Sundance, etcetera. The Chicago Latino Film Festival will have a lot less competition. Then, if you do well at a few of those smaller ones... word will spread and you will have no trouble getting into larger ones.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Mike.

Thanks for that. Exactly what I was pondering. I might add to this that one of my original intentions doing this film was to have it be some sort of positive influence for a younger generation who could learn from my subject Fernando, and know there is hope.

I really like the idea and prestige that a festival nod could offer, but I'd also like to have local and community viewings as well knowing that this could maybe make a difference to someone.

Still I like the idea of the Chicago Latino Film festival. Your idea of a realistic entry goal makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques