Finding experts to interview is hard! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Finding experts to interview is hard!

When I used to work in broadcast television I thought it was hard to find people to interview.

"I'm not going to do an interview with you because I like the other station better," was a common response.

How I wished that I was doing my own freelance documentary so I didn't have to deal with that kind of thing. I figured scoring an interview would be so much easier if I wasn't affiliated with a main stream media outlet. From my point of view, people just seemed more comfortable talking to the indie guy who wasn't affiliated with a network.

Now that I am producing my own doc, it seems the opposite is true- especially with experts. Trying to explain how this is my project, not for a station or a network, is difficult. Also a lot more experts seem to not have nearly as much time to talk as they did when I was shooting for a recognizable TV station and they knew they were going to be on the evening news.

Oh well. It just involves more work and having to be more persuasive.

What techniques have you developed for scoring key interviews?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Finding experts to interview is hard!

I wonder if it is partly due to the rampant misuse of people's words around the web etc.
A larger entity may have more at stake than an unknown and could be thought to be more predictable.
(I can't believe I'm giving the impression that the mainstream media is trustworthy! LOL)
I've thought about doing interviews too for my blogs but just figured I am an unknown and will not be worth the time of day.
A blogger once said to start with your own level of contacts and then spiral upward over time with bigger names, and that trying to get someone out of my "sphere" would be folly.
Perhaps looking for a subject who has a bigger need to voice their perspective than your need to produce the project would work.

Last edited by Henry Kenyon; November 6th, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: additional remark
Henry Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Finding experts to interview is hard!

All sorts of projects posted here, books, docs, news stories, etc

Free Publicity - Connecting Reporters and News Sources - Help a Reporter Out
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques