DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   Client wants documentary & rights to produce... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/516302-client-wants-documentary-rights-produce.html)

Darryn Carroll May 3rd, 2013 08:27 PM

Client wants documentary & rights to produce...

This one is new to me so I thought I would ask for advice. A local organization would like me to film and produce a documentary of/for them and transfer (sell) them the rights so they can duplicate and sell on their own.

I first pitched X amount of DVD's at X amount of money, but they would rather just pay me to create the video and they will take it from there.

We have done verbal agreements as to compensation, now I need to research and create a contract, any thoughts, ideas or perhaps even links to "similar" contracts?

I assume I can still brand with my company name?

Thanks all.

Paul R Johnson May 4th, 2013 12:52 AM

Re: Client wants documentary & rights to produce...

Do what you like if the client agrees. I do it all the time - DVD duplication is the one bit I hate!

Just quote them for the production - so the pre-production, production and post phases in the normal way. Make sure though, that the delivery format is clear. Often, the end product isn't understood by the client, so make sure you both are clear on if you are delivering a file for them to turn onto the DVD - do the authoring, or if they want a finished single DVD they can duplicate. I get both requests. Often they will be unclear. You provide them with one version, then they ask for another for their iPads, or the MDs phone, or for a 1080 they can project at a training event. I standardise on one format for delivery, and charge extra for re-coding to alternative formats. So I get paid for maybe providing one format as data on a DVD or maybe even memory stick. They then ask for new versions and I charge for the time producing them.

Darryn Carroll May 4th, 2013 06:56 AM

Great tips Paul, Thank You !!

Allan Black May 4th, 2013 06:00 PM

One problem here is, when *you* produce your own DVDs you've got quality control, when you let others do it you haven't.
And they'll have your credits on them, maybe printed on their labels and inserts too. Any duds might come back to you.

Find out what the situation is after you deliver the master. Could be anything, from someone's kid who makes DVDs cheap,
to stripping off the soundtrack to add their own in an ethnic language .. anything.

If you're not totally happy with the answers, to keep the job, don't put your credits on the master. The contract doesn't have to say that,
just keep it low key. If they ask why, just say it's your usual procedure when you don't make the copies.

Cheers.

Rainer Listing May 4th, 2013 07:14 PM

This is standard. It's what video production companies do. You agree on deliverables and price, unless you're also an agency customer handles the distribution. Try to include agreement to let you use clips on your reel.