First Documentary Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Major Player

First Documentary Help

Hi All,

As some of you may know I used to film weddings full time but now have left for a permanent position as a social / media role at a salon. The salon has recently asked me to produce a web series and left it completely up to me regarding filming etc. The one objective they have given me is it must show us as the elite in what we do.

I was wondering if anybody could help in the following areas, the staff themselves have told me they don't want to be on film however the bosses have said they need to be so get them on board. Which I have no idea on how to do. The treatments that take place are all taken behind doors which I am not allowed to shoot in which means the only real footage I can capture is the staff on their breaks having a chat. I really can't see a show here but they have insisted with 30 women in the salon there must be something.

I don't want to let them down but at the same time I feel compromised on what I should shoot, they have based me to go in and just film for two weeks and see the dynamics but again, if the girls are running away from the camera I feel like a little bit of a loon trying to chase them down looking for conversations. Does anybody have any ideas on how I could approach this?

Many Thanks
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: First Documentary Help

Tariq,

You have a interesting task where you have full access to do what you want however the actors are not ready.

The objective of showing you as a elite place to go is surely what every one wants to show.

There might be ways to do it , first why not interview your bosses and get from them a small interview of what they feel you are amazing at and why people should visit you. This will get your video a direction secondly if they give a interview the staff would be more willing.
Then you can try talking to the staff of what they feel is the best about the salon it may be only a interaction and not a interview at all, just to get them more into this thing as the camera fright is mostly what shuns all from such tasks. Ask them why they have client who come often, what is special about this place which makes the customers repeat their visits, just getting them involved and you to get more ideas on your script.

If you have the videos from the people who run the place showing it to the staff may settle a lot of nerves that may come up.

Now if you need to get a interview and make them talk , you need to pick up the boldest of them and shoot her first , this is the tricky part and you need to be able to find who is willing to do this first, the talk with the staff is what will give you clue to this.
( normally the new staff who is out to prove themselves may be the once who may be your first staff to shoot)

You can even go in a do a photo shoot of the staff no video and see how they feel about it, may give you a few candidates who will co-operate, you have shot weddings so know how to get the right expression on face of strangers so these are your co-workers it may be easier.

And remember this may all not work, however this is one stream of thought that may be helpful .

Do let us know how it goes.

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques