"Self Filmed" One Person Documentaries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Documentary Techniques
-- Discuss issues facing documentary production.

Old December 29th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Major Player

"Self Filmed" One Person Documentaries

Has anyone produced a "Self Filmed" doco, ie: where they are a presenter in a doco, filming themselves (using the flip out screen etc) or know of any examples of this type of doco?

I'm interested as i'd like to do something along these lines...
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

Not doc's per se, but for self filmed examples, check out my entries from DV Challenge #2 and DVC #4.
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Mine too. Several of us in the DVChallenges are a one man operation. Check especially the current DVC4 entry. All me, sorry in advance... Any segments of "Secrets" with the man - self shot, composed, me on camera (again, sorry). Likewise with "Frame 37". Any shots of me are all self done.

Catch my shorts here:
http://www.surgetechservices.com/smchenry

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Major Player

check out "grizzly man" It won a bunch awards this year. The filmmaker actually lives with grizzly bears in alaska for a number of years and films it all himself. Him and his girlfriend get eaten by a bear. Its pretty much just him and the camera. amazing docu.. my new fav.
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Supports LPFM Radio

Grizzly Man was made by Werner Herzog. He's still alive and worked with a crew. But hte subject of the film did shoot a lot of video by himself (and get eaten by a bear).

I can think of some films that were shot by a single person (The Cruise by Bennett Miller was--I think). But besides the challenge docs, I can't think of any that got a general release that were shot and edited by a single person who was also the presenter. Would love to hear of some...

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Major Player

yeh i've been thinking of trying to do a self filmed doc... maybe about travelling to some location where i was a presenter also...
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I saw a show on TV about Timothy Treadwell who shot the bear footage. I didn't think his idea of living with bears was a good one. It also left me with a negative impression of Treadwell. Of course it is TV, juxtapose the right clips together and you can create anything.

It's possible to shoot something with a cast and crew of one. It leaves a lot of work for one person. Any shots with yourself in them will probably be stiff if the camera is on a tripod.
Adam Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

one person shooting

you lose the one of the most important visual effects...the moving camera...no dolly, no tilting, no panning...your shots become really static....of yourself, you can do all that when you are shooting something else for the video
Q
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh contraire' that is the beauty of this style of filmmaking (yes I consider a style all its own) besides the fact that the great Sidney Lument was known for keeping his camera static (and still telling a compelling story) if you are creative enough you can have lots and lots of moving shots in your "one person" film.

It's funny this post should reach me as I am in the final stages of launching an online film festival specifically for this type of film. It will be catered towards empowering children to be able to make movies regardless of their friend's participation, but all ages will be accepted.

It's called LONER FEST and the site will be up and running in less than a month!

It's tough and tedious but quite rewarding and there is absolutely no way anyone could claim that you are not the "author" of your work.

No actors or crew... Just one person: writer, producer, director, cameraman and star!

Email me if you have suggestions or interest

reelvisionfilms@gmail.com

Highest Regards,

Daniel Riser
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My documentary "American Jouster" premiered at the Breckenridge Festival of Film in Colorado last September, and is being sold through an international catalogue.

It was shot, edited, and 'marketed' (such as it was) all single handedly. This was really a budget and logistics decision. Had I the money, I would have preferred to hire at the VERY least, a sound man. It's very difficult to shoot, keep track of the audio, AND conduct an interview all at the same time. You have to pay attention to the questions, think ahead to the next question while being open to pursue whatever course their answers may open, watch your framing and ride the sound all at once. NOT the ideal way to work, but it is challenging and ultimately, rewarding.

Probably the biggest challenge when conducting interviews, is giving the subject a sightline to address. If you don't want them talking directly to the lens, you have to give them a sightline to talk to while answering your questions. Some subjects will be fine looking 'at that chair over there' while they answer your questions. Some will feel silly, so you might need to put a warm body in the chair for them to talk to.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quito Washington
you lose the one of the most important visual effects...the moving camera...no dolly, no tilting, no panning...your shots become really static....of yourself, you can do all that when you are shooting something else for the video
Q
Oh don't give up so easily! Check my entry for DV#4, Alone For The Holidays, and you will see dolly shots and a tilt shot done without any others there. A little ingenuity goes a long way! :)

Mike
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

This is great that people are involved in this kind of filmmaking. That's why I want to have a venue for these films. I love reading stories of how different tricks were accomplished. Things that a crew takes for granted.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Benedict Allen has produced some interesting one man docs that have made it to broadcast in the UK

Check the link for details-

http://www.benedictallen.com/benedic...ideos-dvds.htm

J
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ross McElwee seemed to do a pretty good job with "Sherman's March". He wrote, directed, and shot the film. He did have help editing, though.
Joe Kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM   #15
Regular Crew

you beat me to the punch on McElwee, Joe. 'Sherman's March' is to me the gold standard for subjective-camera documentary. The bulk of the film is McElwee commenting while operating the cam, and in a few shots he puts it on sticks and gets in front for a bit (and yes he includes the take from starting the camera to walking back to the camera to turn it off!)

Subject matter may not hit everyone, but the technique is riveting. It may be hard to locate this one for rental though.

happy producing,

MRP
Michael Pace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Documentary Techniques