DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   connecting pvc tracking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/111745-connecting-pvc-tracking.html)

Nathan Quattrini January 6th, 2008 03:29 PM

connecting pvc tracking

Whats the best way to connect lengths together. I saw one tutrial with some kind of solid pvc inside the hollow one...but couldn`t find it at any hardware store :\

Paul Cascio January 6th, 2008 07:06 PM

I'm curious too.

James Stone January 7th, 2008 10:40 AM

I link several 10' sections using one foot pieces of 1 1/4" pvc. I cut out a 1/2-3/4" chunk down the middle so that the walls will flex in a bit. I then just inserted it in.

The other piece slides on no problem and I lightly sanded the joint to remove any burs. I also cut my pieces off center. One piece is 12' the other 8' so the seams don't match.

Hope this helps.

~James

Nathan Quattrini January 8th, 2008 11:50 AM

hmm interesting way to go about it. How thick is the track versus the inner piece?

James Stone January 8th, 2008 12:14 PM

"How thick is the track versus the inner piece?" I'm running 1 1/2" schedule 40 pvc and the inserts are 1 1/4" schedule 40. If I doesn't rain tomorrow I'll head over and take a picture of it for you.

~James

Nathan Quattrini January 8th, 2008 12:46 PM

ah gotcha, so the inner piece is 1/4" smaller but still fit snug ...I'`d love to see a few pictures to make sure if I try it I get it right. Thanks a bunch

Cole McDonald January 8th, 2008 03:23 PM

In order to get our track pieces to mate snuggly, we took our internal pieces and cut down the end (think tinkertoys) to about the center of the length, then did the same from the other end rotated 90 degrees from the previous cut. This makes it so towards the center of the length, the PVC gets slightly thicker and holds more firmly.

Paul Mailath January 9th, 2008 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm about to make up some lengths in a similar way and reading these posts makes me think of toy train tracks - see attachment

each join is offset and has an alternating male / female connector.

When using the PVC piping on a tile floor I felt the floor and so I'm going to mount the PVC pipes on 2x1 pine to give some extra rigidity.

Mike Teutsch January 9th, 2008 06:44 AM

I use 3/4 schedule 40 PVC for track. I took 1/2" PVC and turned it down slightly on a lathe and cit into about 1 1/2" lengths. Then the 1/2" stuff fits with a slight interference into the inside on the 3/4 and the two sections match up perfectly.

I have about 22 sections that are 4 feet long, thus I have about 44 feet of usable track. The reason I cut the sections four foot long is that they store and transport easily and it is easier to keep them stored flat. If your sections are long and you are not able to store them laying straight, they will start to hold the shape the they are stored at. I have a box that is about 4' by 6"x6" and it holds all of the sections and keeps them straight too. Easy to transport and store that way.

Mike

James Stone January 9th, 2008 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok here's some pics. I took them last night before the rain started. They've been sitting on the side of the house for a while so they're a tad dirty. I also made up a set of stop braces to keep the tracks in line and also to keep the dolly from sliding of itself.

I made them out of aluminum diamond plate because we had a ton extra at work. The 1 1/2 abs test plugs slide into to the track and "lock" in place when you tighten them. I cut a notch in the middle so that the yoke brace will slide through.

Gordon Fuller March 18th, 2008 08:53 PM

still looking to connect pvc for track

when i made mine i took the 1 inch pvc pipe from lowes and i bought a 1 inch wooden dowel from lowes as well. the wooden dowel fits perfectly into the pipe. i then cut the pipe at a 6 inch length and screwed one end into the pipe and the dowel. on the other side of the pvc pipe i took some metal pins with a loop type lock and drilled a hole in the side of the pvc pipe and the wooden dowel and pushed the pin into the track and locked it in so that it would not move. if you have any more questions let me know?
hopefully i'm not too late responding to the post.

Nathan Quattrini March 18th, 2008 09:09 PM

I`m a bit confused by your explanation, do you have any pictures?

Bill Pryor September 14th, 2008 06:30 PM

http://www.longvalleyequip.com/dolly.php

I've used these before and they're great. Worth the money, although if you're handy with tools, you could make your own. Scroll down a few items to the set of connectors for $99.

Silas Barker January 26th, 2015 05:51 PM

Re: still looking to connect pvc for track

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Fuller (Post 844759)
when i made mine i took the 1 inch pvc pipe from lowes and i bought a 1 inch wooden dowel from lowes as well. the wooden dowel fits perfectly into the pipe. i then cut the pipe at a 6 inch length and screwed one end into the pipe and the dowel. on the other side of the pvc pipe i took some metal pins with a loop type lock and drilled a hole in the side of the pvc pipe and the wooden dowel and pushed the pin into the track and locked it in so that it would not move. if you have any more questions let me know?
hopefully i'm not too late responding to the post.

Would you be able to post some photos or email me some photos?

Thanks!

Silas Barker January 26th, 2015 05:53 PM

Re: connecting pvc tracking

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Stone (Post 804826)
"How thick is the track versus the inner piece?" I'm running 1 1/2" schedule 40 pvc and the inserts are 1 1/4" schedule 40. If I doesn't rain tomorrow I'll head over and take a picture of it for you.

~James

I am having trouble bending the 1.25" to fit inside --- do you just force it and then the 2nd pipe will connect over the connector as well?