DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Prototype slider (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/115998-prototype-slider.html)

Bryan Suthard February 28th, 2008 11:03 PM

Prototype slider

Here is a prototype slider that I am working on - very industrial strength and capable of being mounted upside down with a lot of weight. I've been curious about these for a while but I have not found many that are long enough or strong enough for what I plan to use it for. I have a dolly but I find it too hard to move around quickly. I plan to make a 6' and 10' version to be supported by 2 tripods and some brackets/clamps for other supports. Would a slider of this type be something anyone would be interested in? Do you think there is a market?

http://www.tampahighdef.com/slider/index.html

Thanks,

Bryan

Mike Teutsch February 29th, 2008 08:43 AM

The problem with long sliders is that you could only use them sideways. Lengthwise, the rail would most likely be viewed in the footage after short distance.

Looks cool though!

Mike

Bryan Suthard February 29th, 2008 11:29 PM

Mike,

I see your point on the sideways limitation. Perhaps I will concentrate on the 6' version to be more versatile. It could be supported by 2 average tripods. I was thinking that size would be be ideal to mount to the bed rail of my pickup truck. Drive up, clip on the camera, and shoot in seconds. I want to create some unique mount options like that other than just tripods alone.

Eugene Presley March 1st, 2008 02:38 AM

Hi Bryan,

I would definatly be interested in buying one, if you can garantuee very smooth sliding. And maybe controllable friction, so one can 'choose' the sliding speed...

Indifocus has a similar setup, they have a 36 inch version. Do you plan on making a longer one?

Anyway, very much interested, yes!

George Kroonder March 1st, 2008 09:04 AM

6' (feet) = 72" (inches)

Eugene Presley March 1st, 2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 835763)
6' (feet) = 72" (inches)

Thanks George!

Onno Perdijk March 1st, 2008 05:44 PM

Hello All,

I agree with using long sliders only sideways, never forget the option of rising the camera (which ofcourse will create an instability!)
A slider is a great tool, with great options! Years ago (1995) the thought of the slider gave me the idea for my TrussDollySystem: for having a slider with more rigging-options than just the sliderbase: take a look at www.solidgripsystems.eu/tds.htm

Good luck,

Onno, keygrip, amsterdam, Holland

Bryan Suthard March 2nd, 2008 11:03 AM

Onno, that is some serious equipment with major overhead spanning range!

Eugene, I agree smooth is very key. The bearings can be adjusted for overall tightness on the rail by turning them slightly (but not quickly) so I am working to figure out the best option for fine tuning friction control. It takes a lot of practice to push a slider smoothly, just as it does to turn a fluid head smoothly. It would also be nice to figure out a mechanical solution for movement too, possibly motorized, that facilitates "constant" speed movement.

George Kroonder March 2nd, 2008 12:11 PM

Plenty of servos, motors and such at ServoCity ;-) they also have a complete pan/tilt camerarig. How would you drive the sled?

George/

Onno Perdijk March 2nd, 2008 04:07 PM

Regarding adding a motor to your slider: your camera will have an inertia of its weight. a motor will need to compensate that, let alone the drivebelt/rope. So a motorisation will need to be very smart and intelligent to measure and calcultate its speed in contradiction with power. A direct driven motor will be a good option but then again; the start and stop will never be as fluid as a grip could do!

I am working on an update of my motorasation with distance control and emergency-stops. It is a piece of fun!

Good Luck,

Onno Perdijk
KeyGrip
SolidGripSystems
Amsterdam
Holland

Bryan Suthard March 6th, 2008 08:54 PM

I added a camera mount and end plates to it. Working on friction control now. I will attempt some test footage over the weekend.

http://www.tampahighdef.com/slider/index.html

Thanks,

Bryan

Frank Genus March 6th, 2008 09:42 PM

Nice work Bryan.
Are you machining the parts yourself or are you starting with some "off the shelf" components and going from there?
Also, if you decide to market this do you have a rough idea of what you might charge?

Loren Simons March 6th, 2008 10:59 PM

id be interested in a price too =)

Bryan Suthard March 7th, 2008 12:07 AM

I don't know a potential price yet but will in a probably a couple of weeks once I add up all the components and time and labor/milling/parts involved. I see 2 markets for this type of thing. You see cinema type sliders out there in the 3K+ range (or for rent only) and you see Indie type sliders out there in the sub 1K range. I don't know of any in the lower price end that go 6' long like I want. I guess that is what I am aiming for at least. Definitely using some prefab parts. If you search enough out there, you can find some mechanical slider options at various price points out there but the devil is in the details on these things - easy tripod mount, mount plate for the camera/heads, friction control, options to mount a number of ways, potential for motorized options, etc. At this point I am brainstorming a lot and trying different ideas.

My goal is to create something a little longer than what I have found, very sturdy and durable, yet smooth and quiet enough, with several add-on options. And it very much helps I know a mechanical engineer with a machine shop to help me design it, especially the details....

Eugene Presley March 7th, 2008 02:25 AM

Hi Brian,

nice work. Just realize I'm following this thread with much attention. Keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Suthard (Post 838612)
I don't know a potential price yet but will in a probably a couple of weeks once I add up all the components and time and labor/milling/parts involved. I see 2 markets for this type of thing. You see cinema type sliders out there in the 3K+ range (or for rent only) and you see Indie type sliders out there in the sub 1K range. I don't know of any in the lower price end that go 6' long like I want. I guess that is what I am aiming for at least. Definitely using some prefab parts. If you search enough out there, you can find some mechanical slider options at various price points out there but the devil is in the details on these things - easy tripod mount, mount plate for the camera/heads, friction control, options to mount a number of ways, potential for motorized options, etc. At this point I am brainstorming a lot and trying different ideas.

My goal is to create something a little longer than what I have found, very sturdy and durable, yet smooth and quiet enough, with several add-on options. And it very much helps I know a mechanical engineer with a machine shop to help me design it, especially the details....