Using a dolly out in the wild? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using a dolly out in the wild?

Hi again everybody.
As most people in here i am always looking for more ways to improve my outdoor footage. I am currently building myself a homemade dolly to get those smooth moving shots.

Anyone else using dolly's out in the wild ?
What kind do you use and how do you drag that equiptment with you in the nature surroundings.
Would be great to get some input on how other people are doing it.
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Vegard,
I've build myself a dolly recently, no picture yet but I'm planning to do something in next uwol!! Marcus Nord did some shots in uwol-8 with dolly shots. Maybe he will chime in...
And I've also doing some jib-shots, the uwol-7 the eagle has landed, shows a couple of jib-shots.
I've try to find locations near by roads, but sometimes you have to carry a lot of gear for quite a distance to succeed!
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This could be the answer. I am considering this but have contacted the builder yet, but the footage looks good and in the wild this is not a lot of equipment.

I think it would have to be modified for each tripod, but it could work.

Link: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=DIY+Dolly
Mike Blumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Moved here from UWOL Challenge (topic is not related to our UWOL contest).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

and this http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...586#post877586
thread seems to do the works :)
Looks like im doing another smaller DIY dolly!
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Major Player

As Per Johan wrote I used a dolly during the last UWOL. My dolly it produced in Sweden and are not an expensive one… that’s why I got it… otherwise I would have built one my self.
I got this one:
http://www.mgrip.com
it’s a nice tool to work with… it’s light and easy to carry around in the wild.

I really like the dolly shot in my last UWOL, it’s bringing the film up to the next level.
Good luck with you search for a DIY or a finish one on the market.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
As Per Johan wrote I used a dolly during the last UWOL. My dolly it produced in Sweden and are not an expensive one… that’s why I got it… otherwise I would have built one my self.
I got this one:
http://www.mgrip.com
it’s a nice tool to work with… it’s light and easy to carry around in the wild.
This looks like a useful piece of kit. Markus - please could you describe how the camera attaches to the dolly? It isn't clear to me from their website.
I would be using it with a Manfrotto 501 tripod head and a Canon XH A1 camera.

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; May 16th, 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: precision
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It's mostly a question of what track to use. Dollies tend to work well on flat hard ground, but can be a pain on bumpy and sloping terrain. I've got a Cinekinetic Pocket Dolly which runs on plastic pipe, but levelling it up outdoors is a nightmare. A commonly used item is the ladder dolly http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Universal%2...Dolly%20D5.htm which solves this problem as the ladder can be mounted on tripods or clamps - just limited by the length and bulk of your ladder.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
This looks like a useful piece of kit. Markus - please could you describe how the camera attaches to the dolly? It isn't clear to me from their website.
I would be using it with a Manfrotto 501 tripod head and a Canon XH A1 camera.
You just screw the tripod head to the dolly, I use a 503 Manfrotto head. then you can use al the heads pan and tilt during your dolly shot. if you missed it check out my UWOL film here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
It's mostly a question of what track to use. Dollies tend to work well on flat hard ground, but can be a pain on bumpy and sloping terrain.
I agree... I use different thing in the terrain to stabile the rail. I also tried to get two small tripod, but they was to week.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Tourist

I use a Tube Dolly; you can also use a western dolly if you have room. (Westerns are wide with Balloon tires, but can carry all your gear). You can rent them for like $25 - 40 bucks. I have always built them myself out of light weight aluminum, and PVC as track. Then you strap the tripod to the sled. Depending on your camera using a combined Easy Jib can give you lots of options and great shots.
Shawn Bergsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

For my filming, I am using a Ladder Dolly. I am traveling a lot, and ladders are everywhere. On my last mission, I borrowed a ladder for free from a hardware store, if I returned it without a scratch. Ladders are very stable, lightweight, durable, and all over the world.
If I want a high platform, I mount it on top of two tripods, and if I want a low shot I hang the camera under the ladder. On my own ladder, I have made some simple adjustable legs for low shots.
I made an adjustable dolly from some aluminum and wheels from 3 skateboards, and a 6 - 12 Volts engine to make it move. Now I am modifying the dolly with a 100mm bowl.
Next project is to raise the ladder against a tree or a wall, and make the dolly travel up and down the ladder. That way I can leave my Jib in the car in many occasions.
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #12
New Boot

Yes I've used dolly's in the wild. How I got it there: I put the equipment in the back of a pickup truck and drove as far as I could and then carried it the rest of the way.

It was standard track, and a combo skateboard / doorway dolley (sorry I don't know who made it. I don't own it.)
Arvin Berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #13
New Boot

One other note: bring a bunch of material to level the track. I thought I brought a lot but found myself running short.
Arvin Berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Tourist

I use a Pegasus from Cinevate. Works great - I bought a cheap 2nd tripod which fits in the same bag a main tripod. 3 feet of track is enough in many situations. 3-4 minute set-up time on any surface. Smooth as butter. You can always buy 15mm tube to make longer tracks.
Robert Ruffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Trustee

I tend to only use a one metre length of glidetrack these days - you'd be surprised just how effective such a short length can be if you've got good foreground interest - and it isn't hard to carry up hill and over dale...
It's also useful for getting outside of the tripod's footprint: you can hang the camera right at the end of the track and so get angles that you wouldn't get otherwise. In fact, this is one of the main uses of the glidetrack in movie uses - using the offset and not just the movement.

Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable