Dolly ready.. or is it.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:49 PM   #16
Wrangler

Using plywood (known as "dance floor") is industry standard, probably more common than track for interior dolly shots because of the enhanced flexibility. Top grade sheets of 4x8 are used, and they are covered in a staggered fashion with 4x8 sheets of thin plastic (I've seen various materials used) that are then taped at the seams to make a smooth, even surface.

I don't think I've yet seen a crane ride on curved track; the arc of the arm generally provides enough flexibility to get the lens where it is needed while riding straight track. Also, while skatewheels are common for dollies, the crane/track combos I've seen use hard wheels on the track because of the weight issues mentioned here. The length of the arm tends to dilute the high-frequency vibrations that can be produced by the hard wheels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable