Glidetrack - perfect for weddings! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old August 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Alastair, would it be feasible to mount a QR plate on the bottom side of the Glidetrack.
Absolutely!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM   #17
Major Player

YES! I have a stabilizer, but I'm really into the 'ninja' technique of motion shots without one. Even so, I can't do this stuff without a dolly.

I'm also interested in this as a tool at the ceremony to slide my camera to the side when the groomsman steps in the way. It would also create some interest to boring tripod shots.

The discipline would be moving the camera smoothly down the track without surges. Is there a trick to that?

BTW, I would think you could attach the ends to the base of the tripod for support.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
YES! I have a stabilizer, but I'm really into the 'ninja' technique of motion shots without one. Even so, I can't do this stuff without a dolly.

I'm also interested in this as a tool at the ceremony to slide my camera to the side when the groomsman steps in the way. It would also create some interest to boring tripod shots.

The discipline would be moving the camera smoothly down the track without surges. Is there a trick to that?

BTW, I would think you could attach the ends to the base of the tripod for support.
I don't know about using this for an entire ceremony. The reason being that you would probably get a bit of flex in the bar, when needing to be at an extreme opposite end for a long period of time. And while I do agree that it could give some beautiful moving shots for a ceremony, like reveals, it is simply too long to mount on a tripod discretely for a ceremony. Especially up front.

I currently use and love a DvMulti Rig Pro for Ceremony and Reception use. And generally am on a tripod for a ceremony, except for the processional and recessional. Sometimes I might be all DVMR during and outdoor ceremony. Never really had an issue with groomsman being in front of my camera (due to camera placement).

I'm really interested in the Glidetrack for establishing shots of the venues, as well as the possibility of using it during the first dance on a tripod and also for some dramatic low angle gliding shots (side to side and back to front) on the floor.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
You guys would actually consider dragging this thing into a church and using it during a ceremony? Get another camera. :)

Dollies, smooth shooter vests, glide cams, jibs, etc., all during the service... no wonder we get a bad rep with the clergy.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
You guys would actually consider dragging this thing into a church and using it during a ceremony? Get another camera. :)

Dollies, smooth shooter vests, glide cams, jibs, etc., all during the service... no wonder we get a bad rep with the clergy.
Rick, since you shoot all tripod, I thought that you would have great interest in this. =)
I didn't agree with Dana either, in using it during a ceremony.
Even though the setup time is minuscule and it is a real compact solution to dolly shots. It's still too obtrusive to use for a ceremony. And remember, this is coming from someone who uses a DvMulti Rig all day.

I juts would like something like this for dramatic establishing shots and dramatic creative, fluid dancing shots for the important dances. Of course I would have an additional 1-2 cameras filming during these as well for core shots. Then use the Glidetrack shots for dramatic cutaways.

I know that you probably think that I am nuts, bringing all of this audio and video equipment to shot a wedding. But for the way I edit, the more variety of shots that I have the easier the edit is. And my edits are pretty straight forward, opening montage edit through processional, ceremony as it using straight cuts (edited down some if needed), bridge song for processional cocktail hour, and all important dances as it A/B cut, with some additional shots mixed in (maybe toasts, cake cutting, etc.). Then some dance montages mixed down to 3-5 songs. all with audio being the main focus to my edit and build the shots around this.

I don't use much slow motion anymore, except for impact, so I figure that some rock steady. slow gliding dolly type shots, could be used for some dramatic moments in the video, without the need of much slow motion.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Alastair Brown's videos on Vimeo

Have a trawl through any of my clips and you should get a feel for how when I use it. It tends to be something you reach for in the less pressurised parts of the day. The beauty of it is, it only takes seconds to setup shoot and then move back to more traditional work. I normally have it sitting tucked to the side ready to jump on/off as and when I get the urge.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
I think our three cameras are enough, and we always have a good shot, but...

I haven't seen one of these in person, but our weddings are outside almost exclusively, and our tripods are as far away from the ceremony to the side as possible - often in bushes! We wear all black and never use lights. We're not obtrusive -- it's the photographers with the flash bulbs and shutter noise.

As far as camera placement, we feel we need to be eye level or a couple feet higher. Otherwise the footage looks too much like a security camera. We have a straight shot most of the time, but when groomsmen stand in the wrong place it seems that sliding the camera over is a lot less intrusive that picking up the whole tripod.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
it seems that sliding the camera over is a lot less intrusive that picking up the whole tripod.
Good point. It also means you don't get the unwanted audio that picking and lifiting a tripod always introduces.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
I think our three cameras are enough, and we always have a good shot, but...

I haven't seen one of these in person, but our weddings are outside almost exclusively, and our tripods are as far away from the ceremony to the side as possible - often in bushes! We wear all black and never use lights. We're not obtrusive -- it's the photographers with the flash bulbs and shutter noise.

As far as camera placement, we feel we need to be eye level or a couple feet higher. Otherwise the footage looks too much like a security camera. We have a straight shot most of the time, but when groomsmen stand in the wrong place it seems that sliding the camera over is a lot less intrusive that picking up the whole tripod.
I agree with Alastair, good point.

I wish that we did more outdoor ceremonies, as I prefer them to shoot.
I'm surprised that you do so many outdoor shoots in AZ, because of the heat.

BTW, I notice that our editing styles are similar, as I don't like to use many crossfades or slow motion either. Just straight cuts and real time video.

Also, I like the look of your website, nice and clean. But it could use some work on navigation, as there doesn't seem to be any way to go from page to page without going back a page or back to the main page.

Sorry for the deviation in the post.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
but when groomsmen stand in the wrong place it seems that sliding the camera over is a lot less intrusive than picking up the whole tripod.
Yes but don't you think this "glide thingy" is kind of overkill to thwart that situation? I'd say this gizmo is a distraction all by itself just sitting there.

Besides, if you're shooting as far away as you say you are... sliding a camera 3 feet in either direction wouldn't do any good anyway. You'd need to be within 10 feet of the couple.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #26
Major Player

The outdoor ceremonies are short and sweet. ;o) We wrapped up a reception at 11:30 a few weeks ago and it was still 105!

Rick, you may be right. I wish I could see the thing in person. I also wish it was all black like my tripod. I have a friend who films weddings with a 3ft crane on his tripod. It all comes down to whether a better final product is more important than a percieved visual distraction... I know. I'll stick some flowers on it!! ;o)
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Trustee

Anything that is not black can be spray painted black.

Alistair. Perhaps you could get the tracks etc powdercoated or anadised Black - though it would push the cost up some more. :-(
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Anything that is not black can be spray painted black.

Alistair. Perhaps you could get the tracks etc powdercoated or anadised Black - though it would push the cost up some more. :-(
I can get them anodised any colour you like. It will indeed cost extra.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #29
Major Player

SDE with the glidetrack

If you even remotely think this piece of equipment will help you get great shots - GET IT. Get it now. Because it will.

Here's an SDE we shot last Aug 16 utilizing it. I was holding back here. I had a lot more glidetrack shots but I figured I'd just use the ones which would serve the narrative.

Zhar and Rodney on Vimeo - forgive the bad encode, it'll do in the meantime.

0:44 - a bit tilted but i could settle for that for the SDE
1:07 - I came in, big room, I saw the long table, It was made for the GT, foreground heaven
2:52 - several feet away and unobtrusive. I could kiss Alastair then and there
2:59 - without explanation, you may just see a old man bored and unaffected by the wedding. But that actually is the father who just suffered a stroke and is ill of many other things. This shot was tricky, gliding while tilting down at the same time.
4:09 - wanted this shot with the bride nearer but I couldn't set up in time. it was all good in the end.

Cheers!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #30
Trustee

So Jason, for the ceremony, are you simply keeping your camera and Glidetrack attached to your tripod the entire time, and simply picking up the setup and moving it to different locations for the shots.

Or, are you detaching the glidetrack with camera attached and placing it on preset tripods when needed.

And are you still using the Omni-Tracker, or is it history how with the addition of the Glidetrack?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable