Dollies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old August 29th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dollies

I Have Looked all around and can not find a decent dolly system for under 150$ Can someone help and give me some ideas?
Jamison Olivieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 12:43 PM   #2
New Boot

I know this'll come off like I'm being a smartass, but I'm dead serious - use a skateboard or a wheelchair. Not the best solutions, but they're cheap and who'd ever know, as long as the shot looks good?

Robert Rodriguez used a wheelchair when he shot El Mariachi. He borrowed it from a doctor's office in town, and he had to schedule times when he could borrow it. =]

If you're looking for something a bit more permanent, you could probably build something from Home Depot materials for well under $100.
Brian Cupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh yeah i have never thought of using a skate cool thanx!
Old September 1st, 2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you do decide to go the Home Depot route, make sure the wheels are rubber and big like wheel barrel wheels. This way you can assure a smooth ride without as many bumps.

The whole skate board idea is a little scary I think. You hit a little tity rock and the skate stops and you and your camera go flying.

Always have someone pushing the dolly and to be there incase any accidents :-)
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Trustee

I'd forget the skateboard unless you're on totally smooth ground for the same reasons as Mark said. Also you'd have a hard time sitting a tripod on it ;)

I've just finished making a dolly and prelim tests seem good. We're using it as part of our LadyX episode, so that's when we'll find out if it's going to be any use, or totally useless. Took me about 4 hours to make as not everything I could find fit the job perfectly so I had to make adjustments. Cost me about NZ$200 all up I think. It runs on rails (PVC) which was probably the most expensive single part, costing me $70 for 2 x 4 metre pieces.

If it works out I might go down the steel rail route and have proper stabilising feet and things for them so I can run it off the ground and keep level on slopes, which it can't do at the moment.

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can you give me the direction on how to make one? Or is there like a site that helps to make one?
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Jamison. I got the idea from this link

http://www.shadowgirlproject.com/dolly01.asp

It's in French but use altavista or google to translate it. There's not much in the way of specifics but you can work out what to do from the pictures.

My one is pretty much exactly like their one.

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok thanks alot! Big help
Jamison Olivieri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable