DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   DIY SLIDER (under $50) andTEST FOOTAGE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/142368-diy-slider-under-50-andtest-footage.html)

Michael Hutson January 25th, 2009 04:15 PM

DIY SLIDER (under $50) andTEST FOOTAGE

Got an idea last night and built it today. (test footage loading on vimeo as I type)

I wanted to make a slider and was reviewing the forums for ideas. Here is my prototype.
I went "outside of the box."

Footage was shot with my XHA1 sitting on top of my matthews M25 tripod.

DIY SLIDER TEST FOOTAGE on Vimeo

Enjoy! Comments welcome.

Michael

Chris Swanberg February 20th, 2009 10:09 PM

Michael...

terrific idea and great results. I think I may follow your lead here !

Thanks for sharing !

Chris

Michael Hutson February 24th, 2009 02:07 PM

Chris,

I have a shopping list and additional video with constructon notes...email me if you want me to send you a link. I know of two other folks who are building one.

Michael.

Dale Guthormsen March 5th, 2009 10:59 AM

Mike,

A very fine idea I may adapt. I have been looking for a slider to put my xlh1 on for using a macro lens that can give you 5x real size.

This could be adapted by placing a back and a lead screw to it so you can manually adjust it because at 5x you move the camera for focus.

Using it as a slider is pretty nice, however I noticed that on your footage it is a bit bumpy at times. I wonder if you got higher profile runners if it would be smoother. Or does it get that way when you are approaching fully extended?

I am going to take off with your idea and do a little building!!

Michael Hutson March 5th, 2009 05:12 PM

Hi Dale,

Thanks for commenting.

The footage was taken just minutes after it was put together.

From a "birds eye" view of it. The slider is rated for 100lbs, if I remember correctly. There is zero movement up and down even at full extension, however there is a "quiver" left and right(like an arrow hitting a target). I think that can be eliminated having the top piece the full length of the assembly. The only other issue is that sometimes there is a drag when one slider stops and the extension takes over...the slower you go the harder it is to compensate. Some practice runs before hitting the record button helps a lot.

Another guy made one and modified the top. He did a shoot with it the following week and he said he got some great shots with it. I have not received a critique of its performance from him yet. He is to send me some footage.

I would love to see your project when you are finished!

Here is the link to a video I made that contains the shopping list and construction notes:
This is a password protected video on Vimeo
password: sadie

All parts from Lowes.
Thanks for commenting. Happy building.

Michael

Sean Mitchell May 10th, 2010 06:36 PM

under $60 slider track dolly

under $60 slider track dolly check it out

Aaron Dunlap May 15th, 2010 08:46 PM

Sean this idea is fantastic! I was just about to make a post asking if anyone had done a shoulder mount using copper, since it seemed to be as strong as aluminum (Type L copper at least), and this is a great idea as well! I wonder if it would save even more money and be just as strong to transition to PVC for everything but the rails. And possibly use pullies on the carriage. I think I will put together some plans for a slider like this. Thanks for the great idea!