DIY 39" Slider - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #46
Regular Crew

It looks nice, but those it not make any sounds? It seams to me like it would be "sliding" sounds whit that construction. And how well do it slides?
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Does anyone know what the hi-hat type bowl is in this picture on the glidetrack website? http://www.glidetrack.com/images/007%20(Small).jpg

Duncan

edit Alistair has told me it's this: Manfrotto 325N 100mm Bowl Interface (MN325N) - Warehouse Express
Here you go:
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 325N Video Head Adapter Bowl | 325N
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Folks,

Just an update: went ahead and ordered from Igus today.

Really wanted the Pocket Dolly from Kessler, but couldn't scrape enough pennies for it.

Will need the assistance of my father in law to jimmy up the dolly to the tripod.

I'll try and post back when I get the delivery, and have the dolly setup.

Best,
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #49
Major Player

Hi Folks,

Received the Igus parts the last week of May; but wasn't able to set it all up until recently. I'm really a clutz at tools (a hack at best :), so had my father in law help me out.

Here are the results:

DIYDolly_01 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I did take it out and shot our backyard on the HV30, but I've yet to capture the footage in the NLE. I even tried it with the XL2. And let me tell you, my heart was palpitating every time I reached near the end of the dolly track!

Best,
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #50
Trustee

Glad you've put it together at last, BUT, - you have to make end stops for it!!!
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Glad you've put it together at last, BUT, - you have to make end stops for it!!!
You are so right Robin! Right now, I have four pieces of rubber bands, two at either end, "stopping" the camera from sliding off :)

BTW, I plan on changing tripod heads, and only have owned a Libec. I use the Manfrotto legs (as seen in the pics), but want to know if Manfrotto/Bogen heads screw on the carriage truck easily. (My Libec H22 has a 2 inch long bolt that will not screw onto the carriage.) I was checking out the 701HDV head as they're inexpensive (but probably won't support the weight of an XL2); but I may need to get the 501HDV head instead? Or do you think your Velbon can support the weight?

Best,
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #52
Trustee

Jeff,
Funny you should mention the 701 head, since I took delivery of it last week!
It's very good for the price, and I am now using it on the Velbon legs for the little Canon HF10. The Velbon head is now on the slider - and I have a Manfrotto 75mm half-ball permanently screwed onto the slider. This lets me put it straight onto the 525 legs (still with me?) and makes it very easy to level the whole thing.
I'm keeping the 503 head available for use on the 525 legs only. Everything has now got a Manfrotto plate or adapter fitted (even the Velbon) so everything is quickly interchangeable.
As for your questions, The Manfrotto heads have a 3/8ths hole, so depending on what screw you have on the carriage plate, you may need an adapter.
As for the question about weight, I've used my FX1 on the Velbon head, but it doesn't balance very well, so I guess that it would be the same for your XL1.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Jeff,
Funny you should mention the 701 head, since I took delivery of it last week!
It's very good for the price, and I am now using it on the Velbon legs for the little Canon HF10. The Velbon head is now on the slider - and I have a Manfrotto 75mm half-ball permanently screwed onto the slider. This lets me put it straight onto the 525 legs (still with me?) and makes it very easy to level the whole thing.
I'm keeping the 503 head available for use on the 525 legs only. Everything has now got a Manfrotto plate or adapter fitted (even the Velbon) so everything is quickly interchangeable.
As for your questions, The Manfrotto heads have a 3/8ths hole, so depending on what screw you have on the carriage plate, you may need an adapter.
As for the question about weight, I've used my FX1 on the Velbon head, but it doesn't balance very well, so I guess that it would be the same for your XL1.
I'm kinda thinking of the same setup (unless I'm visualizing something completely different :)--which is to have the dolly track mounted on a tripod and fluid head, then mount another fluid head on the carriage. Hmmm...I'm also thinking I'm going to kindly request for photos of you current setup :)

The current legs I'm using is an old Bogen photog tripod (# 3221), which is strong enough for the dolly/carriage/HV30 setup; but wobbly (and heart stopping) with the extra added weight of the XL2. I have a Libec (75mm bowl) tripod that I'd like to use, but would need an adapter to screw onto the dolly track. Can you recommend one?

Best,
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #54
Trustee

Jeff,
I'm thinking that you one pan/tilt head too many in the equasion :-)
If you use the Libec legs with a 75mm bowl, then you could attach the slider to this:
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 520BALL 75mm Half Ball | 520BALL

You can keep the top flat part permanently on the slider by screwing it into a large 3/8" nut - and then drop the ball part into the bowl and level it and tighten. Easy!
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #55
Major Player

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks Robin for that link.

Might have to consider the 501HDV head to screw onto the carriage, to support the weight of the XL2.

Best,
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #56
Regular Crew

I located pretty much the same rails and carriage here in Australia if anyone is interested.
For a 36" rail and 100mm (sorry about cross measurements) carriage, the cost is around AUSD$370. They are available from Treotham - Treotham Automation in Brookvale. Tel: 02-9907 1788
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #57
Tourist

DIY Slider - cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Folks,

Just an update: went ahead and ordered from Igus today.

Really wanted the Pocket Dolly from Kessler, but couldn't scrape enough pennies for it.

Will need the assistance of my father in law to jimmy up the dolly to the tripod.

I'll try and post back when I get the delivery, and have the dolly setup.

Best,
Looks very good, but how much did you end up spending?
Stefan Bartelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #58
Major Player

Hi Stefan,

I think I ended up paying something like $158 (US dollars, including the shipping) for the dolly and carriage parts. (Then maybe a few more extra dollars for wing nuts and some bolts :)

I've put my DIY dolly on the shelf for a bit cause we've been in post mode the last month or so.

Hope to post up some footage with the dolly in action soon.

Best,
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #59
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Stefan,

I think I ended up paying something like $158 (US dollars, including the shipping) for the dolly and carriage parts. (Then maybe a few more extra dollars for wing nuts and some bolts :)

I've put my DIY dolly on the shelf for a bit cause we've been in post mode the last month or so.

Hope to post up some footage with the dolly in action soon.

Best,
Thanks for the update
Stefan Bartelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #60
Major Player

A few weeks ago, before I read this topic, I happen to run into the Igus rail + slider via a Dutch website and ordered 1.5 mtr. With that I build my own glidetrack. Now I see this topic and thought: I might as well share my findings.
The first (without head) and second (with head) test results can be seen on Vimeo (here and here). I discovered that smooth gliding is something you have to learn and doesn't come by itself. And after a long doubt I rubbed some olive oil to the rails with made it slide like a charm. I now can give the slider a push at one end and it slides 1.5 mtr to the end by itself. And for a simple straight slide I now use a small rubber band with wich I pull the slider (as low as possible).
But I did not succeed yet in sliding and using the head at the same time. I thought that would make it possible to "curve" around the subject. But that needs a lot more practicing I'm afraid. On the fotos is the first setup I tried. In the meantime I bought myself a new Manfrotto tripod with a new head and screwed a few QR adapters here and there so now everything is quick interchangeable. Next to test is with the XHA1 instead of the HV30.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY 39" Slider-glide-1.jpg   DIY 39" Slider-glide-2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable