DIY 39" Slider - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old April 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #91
Major Player

Hi Jaime,

Congrats on your DIY slider!

When you got your Igus parts, did you get their tech notes? (I don't have it in front of me, but essentially it's a troubleshooting guide for your rail and truck system.)

Copied this from the other forum:

This is OFFICIAL igus procedure for "aligning" the carriage.
It only needs to be done once.

They say

1. Loosen all carriage bolts - (don't remove - just loosen a few turns)
2. slide carriage back and forth to allow bearings to align themselves)
3. (tech actually recommended "tapping" the center of the carriage to "bump" the bearings into place)
4. With downward pressure on carriage tighten the bolts again a few turns at a time (alternating them - i.e. do NOT crank one down and then do the other ones)

I've also read that some folks have been using petroleum jelly to lubricate their rails (i.e., a tiny amount of jelly on cloth and rubbed gently on the rails). I personally have NOT done this, so please use this advice at your own risk!

Best,
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Diy 39

I get it...Yeah...it was the adjustments on the carriage that made it run smoother.

Thanks..
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM   #93
Regular Crew

i am really interested in buidling this, especially at how cheap the parts really are. BUT I don't want to spend more money on the tripod head than i am on the tracks, I just won't use it enough to make it worth it. I have a Giottos VT809 tripod right now along with 2 light stands. What would the most economical setup be to support about 4ft of track and a 7d? Any help would be great
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #94
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Not sure if I can be of help, as I've never tried using light stands for supporting the DIY dolly.

But, if you're NOT going to be making any camera moves (i.e., panning, tilting, etc.) whilst dollying, then pretty much any tripod head (fluid or non-fluid) will do. I don't have the model tripod you have, but if you can use two of your light stands to support the track (at both ends), then I think you'll be fine.

Just a note, you'll need to tap the ends of the track so your light stands will bolt thru and mount on them. I guess you'll have to find out what size tap you'll need accordingly. And if you're just using your 7D and with that cam's weight, two light stands will provide enough support for the DIY dolly.

Best,
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #95
Regular Crew

thanks Jeff, I think for time being I will try it out with a cheap head and using the lightsands, updating only if i need it
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:28 AM   #96
Inner Circle

I've recently discovered that I get a slightly smoother track if I drag my hand along the track as I'm sliding. This might be unique to my physiology but it's worth a try. For me, panning or tilting while sliding is much harder than and vanilla locked down slide. Try the hand drag trick. Maybe it'll work.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #97
Trustee

Here's another example of what can be acheived with the Igus track.
It is possible to pan and tilt on the move, but all movement must be made from the head itself - the pan bar puts too much leverage on the track and it will snag...

The file is quite large, so it's a good idea to let the progress bar load most of the video!

Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I have been toying with home made sliders, nothing up to snuff yet.

I went to Igus and could not sort out what you guys Have.

As for lubricating that is not messy, I use spray on silicon that I use for lubricating my machines in my shop. Goes on damp, dries and is slick.

could I get a link ????
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #99
Major Player

Does anyone know where I can buy end brackets/legs for a slider built from igus parts to allow it to run on the floor?

Cheers, Duncan.
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #100
Major Player

If both ends are tapped for a tripod, just get two of these, at $23 each, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/333956-REG/Slik_611_352_Mini_Pro_V_Tripod_with.html and you'll be set. The only legs I have found are about $150 a set?
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #101
Major Player

Hi Robin,

Awesome stuff once again, man! And I think you're camera moves are getting really silky smooth :)

Haven't checked into this thread in a while; partly, as I haven't used my DIY slider for a long while. Been busy with a year long project for a local university, and we've been using all their gear.

Nice to see you bringing out your DIY slider up to fore and gifting us once again with amazing footage.

Best,
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #102
Major Player

Hi Dale,

If you've visited the IGUS website and found it extremely confusing you're not alone! It's like reading Braille with your elbows :) (Or add other impossibly daunting analogy here!)

The best way to contact them and order is by calling IGUS.

And here's a link from where I learned a bit more about the DIY slider:
DIY IndieSlider... - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

It's a very long thread, but the OP has made it easy and put all the necessary info on the first page.

Good luck,
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #103
Trustee

Yes i'm also interested on what to use at the end rail if i wanna use on the ground.....
The 2 little tripods are too MCGYVERIST to bring em on the bag with me while i climb the mountains....
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM   #104
Inner Circle

I've found the 39" slider too long to get consistent slides. I cut mine down to 36" and it puts me right at the edge. It also makes it more portable and lighter.

Another way to make the slider lighter is drilling holes in the rail. The metal is soft, easy to do. Heavy little bugger.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:26 AM   #105
Inner Circle

Re: DIY 39" Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Yes i'm also interested on what to use at the end rail if i wanna use on the ground.....
The 2 little tripods are too MCGYVERIST to bring em on the bag with me while i climb the mountains....
Drill a hole near the end, thread it with tap and die, screw a 3" or so bolt in partially. Do the same on the other end. It'll stop the slide.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable