DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Glidetrack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/143486-glidetrack.html)

Alastair Brown December 23rd, 2008 11:06 AM

NEW Glidetracks

I thought you fellow wedding videographers may be interested in two new Glidetracks just released.

A half length Compact version, and the new Glidetrack HD (Heavy Duty).

The site has also had a new mini makeover and there is a new "info-video" explaining a little bit about the Glidetrack.

And yes, before someone points it out, the uncanny likeness between me and George Clooney, has already been pointed out....I wish!

Happy to answer any questions you guys may have via this thread.

I'd like to thank all you guys for your tremendous support, and wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Alastair

Richard Wakefield December 23rd, 2008 11:24 AM

No need to thank us for the support, the glidetrack has helped me immensely! As you know I now have the standard, and HD version (for the Letus)....hell I might even get the compact one too!

Love the instructional vid, and hoping many of our overseas friends will be able to understand your great accent :)

Here's a clip I made with the glidetrack, that I wanted to have a 2001: Space Odyssey feel to it - wouldn't have been possible without it.
Implant Dental Surgery - Harley St, London on Vimeo
And I was travelling on the busy London underground that day, and the glidetrack was perfectly mobile. Did get some strange looks though, LOL.

Don Miller December 23rd, 2008 11:34 AM

Allistar, second time to your site and I still can't find the length of the tracks. I don't think I'm unique in wanting to quickly find:

- How long
- How stiff
- How much

Then I want to know how smooth. I do like the professional look of your site.

Vince Lucena December 23rd, 2008 11:36 AM

You can deffinatley get some nice product shots with this rig.

Richard, Nice spot. Did you use it in the staircase shot?

Richard Wakefield December 23rd, 2008 11:50 AM

Don: those questions are answered on the information page, and purchase page

Vince: 1st staircase shot was using the glidetrack, but the 2nd and 3rd were handheld...in that particular spot of the surgery there wasn't even room to put a tripod (and i hadn't bought my glidecam), so i opted for the swinging arm action instead :)

Colin McDonald December 23rd, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown (Post 982918)

... the uncanny likeness between me and George Clooney, has already been pointed out....

Alastair, has that anything to do with

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.glidetrack.com/purchase.htm
EVERYTHING on this guy is on a larger scale.

I think we should be told.

:-)

Alastair Brown December 23rd, 2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 982933)
Allistar, second time to your site and I still can't find the length of the tracks. I don't think I'm unique in wanting to quickly find:

- How long
- How stiff
- How much

Then I want to know how smooth. I do like the professional look of your site.

The Glidetrack SD and HD each have 1m (39 1/2") of travel The compact has 50cm (20") of travel.

The stiffness depends on length of track. If it's any indication of how solid the Heavy Duty is, it will take my weight if spanned across two chairs. The SD track would'nt handle that.

Prices are on the Purchase page.

Alastair Brown December 23rd, 2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 982944)
Alastair, has that anything to do with

I think we should be told.

:-)

Unfotunately not!

Colin McDonald December 23rd, 2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown (Post 982950)
If it's any indication of how solid the Heavy Duty is, it will take my weight if spanned across two chairs.

That's pretty impressive, Alastair. There's not a lot of my video or audio gear that's as solidly built - only some of the lighting I borrow. Kind of takes me back to the days when pro gear was aways built like a brick... er, um, like a battleship. Like the Vinten camera cranes the BBC used in the 60s. They had to lift the cameraman as well as the huge Pye/Marconi cameras.

Danny O'Neill December 23rd, 2008 01:27 PM

I do love the look this produces. Ive found for the ceremony a static camera is best (cant get away with the steadicam in the UK) but that generally makes it boring. To add some movement to it would give us something over the competition. Seriously considering getting one after seeing that porche video.

I particularly like the 'on the floor' idea as I have been playing with low down shots in recent shoots. I can also see wedding car sequences like your car vid.

Love it!

Danny O'Neill December 24th, 2008 03:09 AM

Well I did it, bought a Glidetrack SD yesterday so looking forward to using that :)

Mike Wade December 24th, 2008 04:51 AM

Hi Alastair. I'm enjoying my Glidetrack immensely: it certainly adds a new dimension to a shoot.
Can you recommend a tripod head smaller than the Velbon to go with it ? I use the little Sony A1 on the Glidetrack and have yet to find the perfect small head to complement it.

Charles Papert December 24th, 2008 06:16 AM

This looks like a nice product.

As an FYI to those who have bought or are considering buying, an application of this design which I didn't see represented in the videos here is when one is shooting over-the-shoulder shots (generally with narrative production); if the person whose shoulder you are shooting over shifts his or her weight, it's easy to make small corrections to maintain the proper relationship between the two subjects with this type of setup. Certainly this is a more subtle application but a great solution to a classic problem.

Alastair Brown December 24th, 2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 983321)
This looks like a nice product.

As an FYI to those who have bought or are considering buying, an application of this design which I didn't see represented in the videos here is when one is shooting over-the-shoulder shots (generally with narrative production); if the person whose shoulder you are shooting over shifts his or her weight, it's easy to make small corrections to maintain the proper relationship between the two subjects with this type of setup. Certainly this is a more subtle application but a great solution to a classic problem.

Great suggestion!

Mike Wade December 24th, 2008 10:08 AM

Hi Alastair,

Did you catch the second half of my last post i.e.
'Can you recommend a tripod head smaller than the Velbon to go with the Glidetrack ? I use the little Sony A1 on the Glidetrack and have yet to find the perfect small head to complement it.'

Cheers
Mike