Indie Dolly reviews? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Willinger
I also ordered mine at NAB after seeing the demo model they had there. It's been four months but it arrived a couple days ago. I put it together (it goes together very simply and fast) and it works great. I got both straight track and curved track. The system packs up nicely into 3 (2 if you only get the straight track) very nice durable (we'll see as I'll be traveling with them) cases. I was told they would weigh no more than 45lbs per bag but the main component weighs at least 55 lbs...an excess weight charge when flying!!

This system is very well manufactured and very solid. The center piece is heavy which ads to the smooth tracking...and it comes with a seat...though not the most comfortable set up, especially if you are big. The track can be configured in regular mode or tabletop mode which runs the rails closer together. The rails are very strong and much better than any of the flimsy micro dolly systems I've seen. The only thing I don't like about it at this stage (and I've not really operated with it yet) is the footings for tripod placement. They have been specifically designed with the Indie Dolly tripod in mind. I use a Sachtler and the feet do not fit securely in the footing and will need to be secured by a manner I haven't thought of yet (bungee??velcro??). The footings can be removed so it would have been easy for them to design interchangeable footings that could be purchased for the type of tripod you use.

I'll be using this on jobs very soon so I'll let you know how it performs in the real world soon.
Hey Ken, I just got mine yesterday. I built the whole thing in their warehouse and I was really impressed with the smoothness. The seat could be wobbly but I'm sure this will be remedied later and the addition of a platform would definitely stabilize it better. I agree with you that the bags are nice and I also got both kind of tracks. The footing is definitely a problem they need to address. I have a Miller DS10 and am having the same problem with you but overll this is definitely a really solid dolly.
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I used the dolly on a job today and just wanted to let you guys know it worked flawlessly. It set up very quickly and packed up very quickly. The client was pretty impressed with it.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Wrangler

any more recent feedback on this product? especially using it on rougher terrain. i'm giving it some consideration. any viewable footage?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I posted a test of the Brevis35 in low light that I recorded doing dolly shots with the Indie Dolly. There are accompanying fotos as well. It wasn't set up on rough terrain...unless you consider a kitchen to be a dangerous area!
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=74772
Old September 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #20
Major Player

Any more news? I am seriously considering this purchase.

Did you guys buy directly from the vendor?
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #21
Major Player

I just received my Indi-Dolly yesterday (with 12ft straight and 13ft curved track). I'm hoping to get a test in soon, so I'll comment on it's performance. Just a note: I'll also be using the Micro35 (M2), with the Advanta-Jib attached to the dolly. I'll also try straight shots using only the Z1U.

I'm waiting for a HD monitor (probably from Nebtek) to really test follow focus with the Indi-Dolly, so those test may have to wait.

I'll post more once I get a chance (my schedule is tight right now, but whenever I get a new 'toy' I have a hard time not playing....)

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Did you guys buy directly from the vendor?
Yes, I saw the product at NAB this year and got on the waiting list for it. They contacted me directly when it became available. You can contact them directly through the website.
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I used the Indie Dolly on a Dateline job yesterday. It worked very well and the producer was pleased. Here's a couple of pics showing how the set up looks. I have the seat attached and the handle to push/pull is the silver bar attached to the center of the base of the dolly. It was very simple and straight forward to set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Indie Dolly reviews?-img_1474.jpg   Indie Dolly reviews?-img_1475.jpg  

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #24
Major Player

I own one. It's a great system. It's not $500 as suggested in the first post but rather $1099 and another $500 for the tracks. But it's a great system at that price. The tracks are extremely strong.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #25
New Boot

I was a Cinegear Expo this year and and the indedolly system was there, very solid and smooth, sturdy and compact. very nice people at the booth also recommend for the pice. just my 2 cents
Jon Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Regular Crew

So let me ask, is this currently the best bang for the buck so to speak? I am just getting started looking and this seems to be a good product for a good price, what is the nearest alternative and what are the benefits or drawbacks of each?
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #27
Regular Crew

How about this alternative.

Check: http://www.cinemagadgets.com/dollies...s-c-73_89.html

They sell dolly track that looks a lot more professional than the one you are talking about, yes it's more expensive, but not that much, you can get 12 feet for $600.00 if you by a 10 feet and a 2 feet. (I know that the 10 feet track is not going to be portable, but it's just an example, you can buy three 4 feet tracks for $780) You're gonna pay around 40% more money, but the track is gonna last forever.

Now, about the dolly itself:
http://www.cinemagadgets.com/dollies...s-c-73_41.html

They have a lot of options, you can buy an already built dolly, or buy the pieces, add some plywood and you'll end up with a REAL dolly. Again, maybe you end up paying a little more. but you will end up with a far more professional setup.

Just my two cents, please let me know what you all think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable