Indie Dolly reviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Indie Dolly reviews?

Hi folks,
Check out this link: http://www.indiedolly.com

This dolly is going for a price of $550 and is supposed to be on par with the heavier more expensive dollies according to an article/review in DV mag which is linked on that site.

Anyone use this before? If so, is it worth it?
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm curious as well. Looks pretty affordable. Anyone tried this?
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I use the cinekinetic Pocket Dolly, very simple, uses any old plywood board and , and works perfectly with a full sized camera rig and operator sitting on in, but only in straight lines, and is about $450. see cinekinetic.com for details.
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

ZGC Indie Dolly

Has anyone used the new ZGC Indie Dolly?

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/c7a682995...8?OpenDocument
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #5
New Boot

Indiedolly reviews?

Anyone using one of these?

http://www.indiedolly.com/

How do you like it?
Scott Grocott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Indie Dolly sticks

Hello. This is my first time posting here. I've been an avid "listener" for years.

I was recently on a show where the Canon XL2 was mounted to a Cartoni Focus head and Indie Dolly sticks. I had heard from the director, several weeks ago, that he purchased these sticks from the Indie Dolly guy and that I had to see them... well seeing is believing. These sticks are incredible! Extremely durable, practical and stylish!

I am about to order some of the light weight sticks from him. He advertises $600 (available in three sizes) but his lightest weight ones are $300! And I'm telling you I've worked with sticks twice (even three times) the cost and these indie dolly sticks out perform them.

Anyone out there contemplating purchasing these sticks?

Highest Regards,

Daniel Riser

www.treasureofthetemplars.com
Daniel Riser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Looks quite good, I'm tempted to try it out.
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I contacted them today and it turns out their office is over at Glendale, CA. I'm trying to setup a time next week so I could bring my tripod there and try it out. I have a Miller DS10 by the way. I will post my impressions once I do that. I'm excited. It does seem like a solid dolly at a very affordable price.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Taidy
I contacted them today and it turns out their office is over at Glendale, CA. I'm trying to setup a time next week so I could bring my tripod there and try it out. I have a Miller DS10 by the way. I will post my impressions once I do that. I'm excited. It does seem like a solid dolly at a very affordable price.
I ordered one at NAB in April with a supposed 3-week lead time. They still haven't shipped it. It's nice and works well, but I'm cancelling my order right after posting this message. Best I can tell, they have ONE. Not a couple, not running low. ONE. And the owner/designer flies around the country demo-ing it. Since I'm about to cancel, maybe one of you can order his demo.
Dennis Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #10
Major Player

hello dennis,

i have never used any dolly, but have a concern by looking at the picture.
i am a heavy guy (fat) all my weight pluse the weight of the camera is on one track only. in the pictur inside track, i am afraid i would tilt over incl. the dolly system.........

dolly users ....help me out..

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey everyone, I just went to their warehouse and I met the designer. The guy is really friendly and he showed me the various components. He didn't have a working demo to show but the components I saw were very solid. My tripod works perfectly with it and they've made several improvements from the older model. He also told me that the price will be going up soon so I'm definitely getting mine in the next couple weeks.

I'm sorry that you have to cancel Dennis. The guy told me that they just received the shipment late last week. I saw all the boxes and he even opened one. He did say that there are quite a few angry customers who has been waiting for months. Maybe one of them is you :P

Last edited by Martin Taidy; August 8th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I also ordered mine at NAB after seeing the demo model they had there. It's been four months but it arrived a couple days ago. I put it together (it goes together very simply and fast) and it works great. I got both straight track and curved track. The system packs up nicely into 3 (2 if you only get the straight track) very nice durable (we'll see as I'll be traveling with them) cases. I was told they would weigh no more than 45lbs per bag but the main component weighs at least 55 lbs...an excess weight charge when flying!!

This system is very well manufactured and very solid. The center piece is heavy which ads to the smooth tracking...and it comes with a seat...though not the most comfortable set up, especially if you are big. The track can be configured in regular mode or tabletop mode which runs the rails closer together. The rails are very strong and much better than any of the flimsy micro dolly systems I've seen. The only thing I don't like about it at this stage (and I've not really operated with it yet) is the footings for tripod placement. They have been specifically designed with the Indie Dolly tripod in mind. I use a Sachtler and the feet do not fit securely in the footing and will need to be secured by a manner I haven't thought of yet (bungee??velcro??). The footings can be removed so it would have been easy for them to design interchangeable footings that could be purchased for the type of tripod you use.

I'll be using this on jobs very soon so I'll let you know how it performs in the real world soon.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I think a plastic pipe dolly using scate board wheels is hard to beat for price and simplicity.If you make the trolly collapsable it can be packed into a carry bag.If you need to travel by airline you can always drop into a hardware store and pick up some pipe at your next location,its cheap,probably less than the cost of eccess baggage .Just remember to take along your own pipe joining slugs.Forget the seat setup,you still need to get someone who can push the unit smoothly,and more wieght on the trolly plus an extra person usualy mean's more noise.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

You're right, skateboard dollies do work although in my experience with them, they can be quite limiting, noisy and difficult to set-up on non flat terrain (plus you've got to go shopping on location to pick up PVC pipes). I needed something a bit more on the professional side that would be guaranteed not to hold up my work flow. I think the Indie Dolly will be it.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello dennis,

i have never used any dolly, but have a concern by looking at the picture.
i am a heavy guy (fat) all my weight pluse the weight of the camera is on one track only. in the pictur inside track, i am afraid i would tilt over incl. the dolly system.........

dolly users ....help me out..

greetings
Hey Karl, I went back to meet the designer again and they claim that the dolly would be able to hold 350-400 pounds of weight (although it would be rather pushing it). They are also planning to add a platform that will be etched between two of the wheels to make the system more stable. There's also going to be a cushioned seat for future versions.
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable