DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:56 AM   #16
Trustee

Chris,

I went back to the store to see other brands which you might find there. I saw a US brand called SENTRY, exactly the same as the HAFELE, product number is SDR-04.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Ted

I'll see what is around here at the Hafele Depot..they seem to at least have square track so the runners will ride nicely on them..all the other tracks at the hardware store on not flat on the top so the wheels will try to slide off!!!

I'll let you know what I find anyway!!

Thanks again

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #18
Trustee

Chris,

If in case you want to make a "BIG" version using the big track and wheels, don't get the wheels that look like "railroad" wheels( for lack of a better term) get that ones that are smooth tapered, the "railroad" wheel type have a tendency to jam on the track.
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Ted

OK thanks!! I have ordered the track and running gear here..it's a bit expensive in Oz!!!
For reference the Rail and Running gear is from the EKU Clipo 35 range and the part number here are : Track : 405.00.250 (2.5m track was $80) the 6 little running gears are Part No : 405.02.010 and were just over $16.32 each.
They had the track in stock but I have to wait till Monday for the 6 running gear units.

I'll let you know how it goes

Chris
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Ted

Interesting developments ... using 6 wheel units I found the the carriage struggles a little and more than often some wheels are not even in use. As the track is equally smooth on both sides I have found it works way better if you discard the top 4 sets completely!! I am just running 4 units inside the track bolted to the plate and they run smooth as silk. My upper wheels also skewed quite badly and despite making all sorts of guides the wheels still mis-behaved!!! By running just 4 of the little 4 wheeled units (all inside the track) it runs way better!!

Cheaper too as you only need 4 running gears not 6!!

Chris
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Trustee

Picturrreesss!
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hey Ted

Pics are attached. I found that having just a single unit inside the track allowed it to skew so I added a second unit each side and then discovered that it was so smooth, the wheel units on top were just not needed

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1)-4closeup.jpg   DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1)-4inserted.jpg  

DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1)-4ontrack.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable