DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/471057-diy-mini-track-jib-2-1-a.html)

Ted Ramasola January 15th, 2010 09:26 AM

DIY Mini Track & Jib (2-in-1)

1 Attachment(s)
I saw my bro use an original slider in a movie he DP'd, I liked the concept, the problem is, I can't find the components locally on my island.
I kept going into home improvement stores looking for a solution, finally I found alternatives and those who are in the same predicament I am, (3rd world isolation & economics) might find this useful.

Here's some pics of the finished mini track & jib. Just holler if you want more details and want construction photos.

Its cheap! Assuming you already have wood and bolts and nuts which I have an assortment of in my shop, I only spent approx. $ 75 US. (current forex) For the Track and 3 sets of wheels which come in pairs, so thats six in all.

Its sooo light. 2.75 Ilbs. cheap, --and most of all, -it works.

Here's a short test video I did today with it.

Ted Ramasola January 15th, 2010 02:00 PM

Construction photos

1 Attachment(s)
As usual, here's the construction photos that you can be used as a guide.
The thing ain't rocket science so i encourage those that wanna do this to feel free and make improvements and mods, just bearing in mind to keep the holes for the center base plates and left and right plate aligned and at same distance all the time to keep the both tracks straight.

Cheers!

Chris Barcellos January 15th, 2010 02:21 PM

Ted:

Another cool DIY project. Great design... I have been meaning to build something like this and this seems to be a great way to go.

Ted Ramasola January 15th, 2010 02:30 PM

Glad you like it Chris,

Look for Häfele sliding door fittings.

Cliff Etzel January 16th, 2010 12:10 PM

Ted do you have a parts list that you can share - name of the parts specifically? What are the carriage wheels actually called? This is my next project for sure!

Ted Ramasola January 16th, 2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 1473252)
Ted do you have a parts list that you can share - name of the parts specifically? What are the carriage wheels actually called? This is my next project for sure!

Cliff look for Häfele sliding door fittings.

Ted Ramasola January 16th, 2010 12:12 PM

Heres the demo video in XR

DIY Mini Track & Jib http://exposureroom.com/getassetthum...45080f&size=sm

Ted Ramasola February 8th, 2010 01:42 AM

Corporate video using the mini track and jib

Heres a corporate project I finished last week shot entirely with the Canon EOS 7D. Edit and Grading in EDIUS.

The crane shots were done with a DIY 13 foot jib. But otherwise, all the dolly/track shots were done with the DIY Mini Track & Jib.

Simply Life's Essentials http://exposureroom.com/getassetthum...4d28ba&size=sm

Chris Lognion March 3rd, 2010 08:20 PM

Ted,

Thanks. This looks like a great project to work on. I have to pull a trailer everywhere I go to get track & dolly shots. Canon DSLR's are changing everything!

Graeme Hay March 5th, 2010 09:22 PM

Thats impressive, I'm going to print off your how-to photo guide and take it to my local hardware store to see if I can build something similar.

Chris Harding March 17th, 2010 06:02 AM

Hi Ted

I had a look at our local hardware store and they want crazy prices!!! So I figured it would make sense to go to Hafele in Australia but I can't see anything like your 4 wheeled trucks in our local catalogue???

Just for interest, where di you buy them from as Hafele are worldwide..and where your fittings classed as "sliding door hardware"?? If so, can you remember which category as they have timber, glass, wardrobe, divider etc etc. If you haven't got that info can you give me the dimesions of your track extrusion??? That might help get a similar fitting here!!

Great design and well done

Chris

Ted Ramasola March 20th, 2010 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris,

I'm gonna go back to the store in the mall where i got this from today and confirm the catalog number for the wheel assembly.
In the meantime I took these pics with a ruler and dimensions included so it might help you in some way.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, got tied up with a project.

Chris Harding March 20th, 2010 07:27 PM

Hi Ted

Many, many thanks for that. By having the approximate size, I have something to go on now...if you do get to the mall then great..otherwise I'll go out to our local distributor here and take your pics ...our hardware store has tracks and hardware but the track was way bigger than yours.. probably around 45mm square track was the smallest they had and it was expensive!!

All the help is much appreciated!

Chris

Ted Ramasola March 21st, 2010 04:40 AM

Chris,

There was an error in my caption, the protrusion is only on one end of the wheel carriage.
I CUT off that Protrusion only on the carriage inside the tube.
I updated the photo to show a transparent carriage showing what the carriage looks like inside the tube.

I also included the Hafele catalog number. I also found similar models made in china so you could also find similar ones of the same size in your area. Hopefully.

Chris Harding March 21st, 2010 07:09 AM

Thanks Ted

I cannot find any part number like 940.38.001 on any of the Hafele site's online catalogues but I HAVE found the EKU Clipo 35 which seems to have a similar look and at least has 22mm track. It's part number for anyone else is 405.06.001 and it's in the Furniture Catalogue not the Architectural Hardware one ..also for sliding doors up to 25kg.
I'll take a look at one in person and report back to see if it will do the job!!
The normal sliding door kits start at 40kg doors and are over $200!!! so this one might just do the trick. We have a Hafele Warehouse in Perth so it will be worthwhile chatting to them.

Just for interest all our other local tracks seem to have a bevel on the top which would not be good for the runner to ride on..the Hafele track extrusion seems to be nice and square!!

Chris