DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Glidetrack Shooter .5 meters or 1 meter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/472202-glidetrack-shooter-5-meters-1-meter.html)

Ray Pempengco February 3rd, 2010 03:01 PM

Glidetrack Shooter .5 meters or 1 meter?

I would like some feedback on Glidetrack (regular model or Shooter model) users on which length you are using. I'm leaning towards the .5 meter length since I'll most likely use it during my day hikes so portability would be an issue there. However, I have some doubts whether .5 meters is actually long enough? There are several hikes that I want to do that are only 1-2 miles long with beautiful views so I'm thinking that that 1 meter length wouldn't be too much of a burden to carry around strapped to by backpack.

I know there are tricks to using it like using a longer focal length to give it the illusion that the actual slide looks longer. I also have some projects in mind to use it around town. If you had a choice, which length would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I will be using a Nikon D90 and a Canon HF11 on it if it matters.

Olof Ekbergh February 3rd, 2010 03:43 PM

Ray,

As you may know I make a Igus track system slider as well.

The most popular size is 3'. I make any custom size you need.

It is small enough to carry anywhere and gives you a long enough slide for a 10-15 second slow slide.

I have a few tips and some sample videos on my site:Reasonable Priced Sliders ? Westside A V Studios

You can also call me and I will give you some tips over the phone:

olof@westsideav.com

Brian Luce February 3rd, 2010 06:48 PM

The 39" isn't as portable, but is nice because you can use it as a jib/crane.

Lloyd Morgan June 17th, 2010 07:46 AM

Ive only used the 1m, and I am in the process of purchasing one! There are a lot of benefits of having the 0.5m, but due to its size you are very limited, and taking into account you will need an inch or 2 either side to get the tracking shot smooth you may struggle with the 0.5m. The 1m is still very light and portable, therefore you could still take it on your hikes.

I would recommend the 1m, this was what I ended up deciding on.

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 17th, 2010 12:30 PM

I agree - the one metre length is very portable and gives a good impression of movement. I use it on nature walks.
The slider is also very useful not just for movement , but to get the lens outside the centre of the tripod's triangle... You can really hang it in places where you normally couldn't get the lens.

Jim Snow February 20th, 2011 11:37 AM

Sorry, I misposted to wrong thread.

Terje Rian February 20th, 2011 11:58 AM

Ray,

Why don't you ask Alastair at Glidetrack to make you a 75 cm version of the slider? When I bought mine that's what I got. Going to East-Africa to do a documentary I had to transport the Glidetrack in my suitcase.
The one meter version was just too long for that.

Best,
-terje

Alastair Brown February 21st, 2011 10:29 AM

Re: Glidetrack Shooter .5 meters or 1 meter?

Hi Ray,

You will be pleased to learn that 0.75m is a stock item at Glidetrack.

Best Regards

Alastair