How to straighten rubber dolly track? (Kessler) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

How to straighten rubber dolly track? (Kessler)

I have 30' (x2) of rubber track from Kessler that WILL NOT pull out straight. It spends most of its time in a 3x3 box coiled up and whenever I pull it out it will never ever ever lay out perfectly straight... nor even close. It's always got way too many mini-curves it it that will show up on a tight shot on screen.

Any suggestions? It's a lot day here so I got it laying out in the grass pretty straight to heat it up... but I don't know if that's going to fix the problem.

Suggestions please!?!? I almost think that the cheesy PVC way would have been better... at least straight, but then again I need 30'.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You might need to revise your storage method. Ideal would be if you had an environment where you could hang it vertically from one end and only coil it to travel in the box.

On location you might be able to force it straight by running hotwater through it if it is hollow, plugging one end and leaving it connected to a high pressure water source until it sets into a straightened condition.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

How about driving stakes or pegs in the ground, and attaching the rubber track to them with short line. and then pull and tie line tight to stretch the track straight. That should keep it very straight. You may even be able to adapt tie-down belts with ratchets to do this as a permanent feature.

Just a thought.
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks. You're both on the right track! (Get it?!?)

I laid it out in the hot sun and it seemed to work out a lot of the kinks. But it's not perfect yet.

It's solid so the hot water idea night not work running THROUGH it, but I'm going to try it in the bathtub at the hottest temp. and let it sit for a while to heat up and then stretch it out (maybe hang it from the roof or try to pull it.).

I'll report back.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you could go safely onto a corrugated iron roof with the tracks and a steam cleaner, lay them in the corrugations and give them a cookover with the steam jet and straighten them let them cool and reset there, might be an option.

Get some advice on how hot they can be allowed to get. I have been known to get things wrong and have blotted my copybook of recent times through being too much of a know-all.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 13th, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable