DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   DIY Motorized IGUS Slider (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/490212-diy-motorized-igus-slider.html)

Rad Sinyak January 15th, 2011 02:13 PM

DIY Motorized IGUS Slider

1 Attachment(s)
I added a servo to my belt-driven slider:

More info here: IGUS Belt Driven Motorized Servo Slider

Cody Dulock January 16th, 2011 11:43 AM

First of all, great job on the slider/belt/motor combo!

Have you been able to get the motor/carriage to go any slower for timelapses? Like 2 RPM maybe?

What happens if you were to forget the motor was going and the carriage hit the end of the track... does the motor keep trying to go or does it shut off? Can this ruin the motor?

How long does the USB battery last?

Would love to hear more!

Rad Sinyak January 16th, 2011 01:09 PM

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock (Post 1608095)
Have you been able to get the motor/carriage to go any slower for timelapses? Like 2 RPM maybe?

The macro shot of the coins is running at about 2RPM. I'm not a fan of shooting stills on a continuously moving platform, so I haven't tried timelapse yet. A better solution would be to shoot, move, wait for oscillations to stop and shoot again... but that requires a bit more effort :)

Quote:

What happens if you were to forget the motor was going and the carriage hit the end of the track... does the motor keep trying to go or does it shut off? Can this ruin the motor?

When the carriage gets to one end it stops, but the motor continues to apply pressure. It will probably burn out after a while.

Quote:

How long does the USB battery last?

I've playing with this for a few days now without having to recharge. Don't have any specifics, but the servo does not appear to need a lot of juice.

I think my next project will be a bit smarter with computer control and limit switches, but for a quick and dirty slider that can fit in a small tripod case, this works out well.

Stefan Kohler April 19th, 2011 06:33 AM

Re: DIY Motorized IGUS Slider

here is something very familiar:

It's not finished yet, i hope to be finished next week...
This project is so much fun :-)

Jean-Philippe Archibald April 19th, 2011 08:28 AM

I do not have the skills or patience to do something similar, but would be more than willing to buy everything ready to install on my Glidetrack hybrid from one of you. Is there someone considering to commercialize this kind of add-on?

Sean Seah April 19th, 2011 09:25 AM

German engineering.. has to be one of the best! Thanks for sharing.

Marcus Martell April 29th, 2011 11:11 AM

RAD tutorial on your diy feet?
suggestions?Awesome work!

Stefan Kohler February 10th, 2012 12:43 AM

Some Tests: