Slider Technique Advice Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old November 17th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Slider Technique Advice Please

Hi All,

I have the Konova slider and it's great for the left to right shots, but I am having trouble with the back to front shots. I am using the slider with a Manfrotto 49RC2 and a t3i with battery grip so there is plenty of height. When I move my camera to the back of the slider the front of the slider comes into shot.

Opteka GlideTrack Test - YouTube this is the type of shot I am trying to recreate but I can only move the camera back around 5 inches before the slider comes back into frame making these kinds of shots impossible. Am I missing something?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Slider Technique Advice Please

Have you tried using a longer lens. By that I mean a longer focal length, although a physically long lens may also help!
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Your best bet is to use a longer lens.

It sounds like you may be trying to get a wider shot than the dolly being in frame will allow, that is just physics.

Good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Trustee

I sometimes tilt the slider down in the direction of forward travel to frame out the track. Look at the title shot of this:

I also sometimes offset the slider so that I'm tracking in or out and an angle - again one can frame out the track.
There are some more examples of my slider technique here: http://vimeopro.com/robindr/camera-slider-videos
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Trustee

there are a few possible work arounds, you can use longer lens, when on the ground i usually slightly tilt camera up, when on the tripod i slightly tilt slider down. great results using upside down setup, but it takes a lot more time and space to set up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable