Baby car as a dolly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Baby car as a dolly?

Ok, I think the last time I was here in the DIY section I suggested using a metal arm cast support for camera support...so don't laugh when I suggest this.
Did anyone here ever managed to successfully turn a baby car into a dolly? The other day I was coming from a shooting some stuff and I was thinking to my self how cool it would have been to have had a dolly on this shot...when then all of the sudden this lady passed by transporting a bunch of crap inside this really rugged baby car. I'm far from being a DIY guy, but it didn't look to hard for me to turn that thing into a dolly. I was wondering if anyone ever tried this.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Major Player

You're going to need a light camera man, I am not sure if such a baby car can handle a 90 kilos (200 pounds) man carrying a camera on his shoulder.
The center of gravity might also be off.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM   #3
Trustee

What the heck is a baby car? And how is it any cheaper/more effective than a DIY skater/whathaveyou dolly?
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
What the heck is a baby car? And how is it any cheaper/more effective than a DIY skater/whathaveyou dolly?
Isn't the name self explanatory enough? I little car that you use to transport a baby :D

http://www.internationalandy.co.uk/b...nny%20Buzz.jpg

I've seen some used ones with big rugged wheels that cost around 70€ . If you can do a skater dolly for less than that or not I don't know and I don't, but I do know that you need a smooth surface for the skater dolly...the baby car on the other hand can handle a concrete surface without too much stress.

Another user at dvxuser.com has been using something similar with great results: http://www.radioflyer.com/steelandwood/sw_18.html
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Stroller

"Stroller"
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Trustee

Great, I have just learned one more word in english and Pedanes posted his first post.
Does anyone have anything to say regarding the actual use of a "stroller" as dolly?

The wagon shown on the link I posted from the user at dvxuser looks like it can handle some weight. He told me it actually holds his own weight plus the camera on a tripod.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Vos View Post
You're going to need a light camera man, I am not sure if such a baby car can handle a 90 kilos (200 pounds) man carrying a camera on his shoulder.
The center of gravity might also be off.
Don't worry...here's my cameraman:

http://www.austinpowers.com/objects/...e_1280x960.jpg

:D
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

We also say baby carriage. Or at least we used to! Who knows what people young enough to have babies these days call them.

Come to think of it we used to call them baby buggys as well.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; June 25th, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Thought of something else
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable